Global Mapper v25.0

Does elevation data export processing use multiple cores?

atvanwie
atvanwie Global Mapper User
I am exporting very large GridFloat FLT elevation files and wondering why doesn't this processing take advantage of multiple CPU cores? These files are taking about 7-8 hours to process (8 GB size) and only using a single CPU. I am writing to an extremely fast 1.2 TB Intel 750 Series NVMe PCIe SSD drive, so I know that is not the bottleneck, it's just that Global Mapper is not taking advantage of anything using only 8% of my processing power, and 92% sitting idle.

I thought I had seen that multi-core processing was enabled in v16.2? Is this correct? What processes take advantage of it? Is there a setting somewhere that I am missing?

Painfully waiting for my processes to finish...

GM v17.2.1

Answers

• JeffH@BMG
    JeffH@BMG Global Mapper Developer Trusted User
    atvanwie said:
    I thought I had seen that multi-core processing was enabled in v16.2? Is this correct? What processes take advantage of it? Is there a setting somewhere that I am missing?
    A number of Global Mapper processes have been multi-threaded since v16, but each one needs to be addressed individually; there is no switch that automatically enables multi-threading for everything. So processes need to be converted on a case-by-case basis, and many conversions have taken place over time since then, and will continue. Evidently, the process that you use hasn't been converted, based on your measurements and a quick look at the code. I've added the request for this export, but note that some processes may not receive much, if any, benefit from multi-threading, so it may not happen. Either way, we'll report back here on the outcome. Issue #21000.

Best regards,

~Jeff