Global Mapper v25.0

Opentopomap.org as source

Hello to all.
I have a question regarding opentopomap.org. I would like to use this data source, but it does not seem to work on Global mapper as there is a problem with the servers certificate. Any idea how to go around this 
Tagged:

Answers

• geomannie
    geomannie Global Mapper User Trusted User
    Hi Sadefa

Thanks for you heads-up on this data source. I have now enabled it in GM 18.0.1 with no issues. I added https://opentopomap.org/as OSM (OpenStreetMap Tiles) accepting all defaults (see image). Works OK for me.

Cheers
  • Hi geomannie, Ithenk you for the repply. I have added it, the same way as it's on the image, but global mapper does not seem to load the images. The bar goes full, bit no images... Any ideas? Can you sxtract the sourse configuration file and share it? Maybe I an dooing something wrong.
  • geomannie
    Hi Sadefa

Attached is the XML exported from GM (zipped). I hope this helps.

Cheers
  • I gues I am out of luck. 
    The screen just stays like this no mater if I zoom in or zoom out.
    That's why I asked you to share the xml file. I will try reinstalling and see what happnes. I will also try on another PC and write back with info.

• Mykle
    Mykle Global Mapper User Trusted User
    The yellow area in the Google Earth image is using the boundaries of your screen image.  Is this where you expect to see topography?  (it would be a lot more interesting if your coordinates were North instead of South)
  • Hello,

it was just an example area. Here is a real example - a kml file loaded (42° 7'14.53"N  25°40'27.15"E)

Nope.png 120.6K
  • Mykle
    I loaded the xml file from geomannie (thanks!), created a point in your area, set the scale the same, and loaded openstreetmaps.org data.  If this screen doesn't appear here (I just cut-and-pasted it), I'll post again with a file image. 

I then loaded the current daily build with the same results.

• Mykle
    So cut-and-paste is not acceptable. 
  • sadefa
    edited November 2016
    OK,
    I have to confirm that this works. I just tried it on virtual machine. it has to be something from my windows settings - maybe the time and currency format or maybe the coma or dot problem.
    Anyways - I do confirm that this works.
    Thank you for the support!
  • Hi,

Can we take out vectors data from this map other than by start digitizing?
    Thanks.
  • geomannie
    Answer ✓
    Hi faisalrz

As far as I am aware, the Opentopomap server takes Openstreetmap vectors and renders them as images for display. In other words, the vectors are not directly available from Opentopomap.

However, you can download the OSM vectors directly from various sources such as https://www.openstreetmap.org/, or for whole countries http://download.geofabrik.de/.

GM can directly open the OSM XML files either zipped or unzipped.

Cheers

• Hello, I also wanted to use opentopomap in my GM. However, I didn't understand the step after downloading the OSM. I  downloaded the OSM for whole Turkey. The folder type is ".shp.zip". Then I put this folder directly to GM. Then all the process explained above,  I applied. However, I faced with error code " Error downloading OSM Tile data tile 13/4682/3096.png OSM tile image query failed with status code 400 which is appeared. Could you please help me. I am also new GM. Thank you in advance!

• geomannie
    Hi Sambam0133

If you can provide the file or a link to the file *shp.zip we can maybe work out your problem.

Thanks