Global Mapper v25.0

KMZ exported into tiles - data changing. How to see original nested folders instead of one layer?

Swoody
Swoody Global Mapper UserTrusted User
edited June 2016 in Technical Support
Many times I import KMZ files for the sole purpose of splitting them into tiles, then re-exporting. However I have several issues:

1) The original KMZ files have multiple nested folders, but in Global Mapper they import as one layer (visually). There are multiple way to split using "Split into separate layers based on attribute, name", etc. however no way to simply split by folder so I can see my original hierarchy. There must be some way to do this??  Or a preference to set so that so files import as they are originally (nested folders) ??  

2) When exporting the KMZ, it does not always hold onto original visual settings. For example, on my original KMZ, paths are 1px white. When exported they are 1px black. Why do they change? Some export with correct colors, but others do not. Truly maddening as sometimes these are 500 miles long, and trying to make sure data is the same is maddening. How can I export with the exact same settings as I imported?

In addition, on my original KMZ, placemarks used for text labels will have icon set to scale 0.0, so no icon is visible. When importing, there is always a small icon visible. How can I prevent this?  After export, I then have to import my split KMZs to Google Earth, change back to the settings I want, then re-export AGAIN so they are usable.

3) After exporting there is always (new) extra text in the description, for example, every point will now have "Unknown Point Feature" and every area will have "Unknown Area Type" in the description. How I can I prevent this?

Basically I want to import a file, and have it export with the same settings, except chopped into smaller files. Clearly I am doing something incorrectly. Any suggestions greatly appreciated!!

Thanks, Sara

Tagged:

Answers

• bmg_bob
    bmg_bob Global Mapper Programmer
    Hello Sara,

I recommend that you send an e-mail describing your workflow and the results, with a copy of your sample data, to Blue Marble Geographics support (geohelp@bluemarblegeo.com).  This will ensure that the support team sees the problem and can provide you with a timely response.  Thank you.

Cheers,

Bob

• Swoody
    Swoody Global Mapper User Trusted User
    I've submitted a technical support request. Thanks Bob!