Global Mapper v25.0

Base Map Sources to Purchase?

Swoody
Swoody Global Mapper UserTrusted User
I use Global Mapper for aerial projects (while flying), which means I am having to download a LOT of maps ahead of time. Not an efficient use of my computer nor time. Plus, many times we end up places I have no downloaded maps for.

Therefore, thinking a solution would be to purchase a set of base maps (state or US) on DVD or hard drive, so I always have something to use as a base map.

Any recommendations for maps of these sorts?  Street maps and satellite imagery maps, particular. Elevation maps would also be helpful. Hopefully these would come in different resolutions. Is this even doable in Global Mapper?

Many thanks in advance for suggestions.
Sara
Tagged:

Answers

• virtual_dirk
    virtual_dirk Global Mapper User
    About 6 months ago I asked the local distributor of Google maps if I could buy a stand alone map of an area. It was about 100mile suqare. They were not keen to do it and eventually asked about US$30000. I do not have such a deep pocket and opted to use the links in GM. So it is possible to buy the stuff. If you have a fast link have you considered to do it "on the fly" Suppose any 4g antenna will give it pretty fast.
  • Swoody
    Swoody Global Mapper User Trusted User
    Best thing I have found is Open Street Maps (free!). Too slow to download via Global Mapper - you get better results by going directly to their web page and downloading what you need. http://download.geofabrik.de/north-america.html

• PaulTocknell
    PaulTocknell Forum Administrator Unconfirmed
    Hey - I might have just the thing for you! I have 2 DVDs with the 30m DEM I could make available here. 1 DVD for the Eastern US and 1 for Western.  In fact - I used to offer it here but haven't in a while. I would be happy to put it on two DVDs for you.  Back in the day we used to charge $99 for the 2 DVD set but I think $29 for the 2 DVDs is much more reasonable don't you? How's does that sound?

The resolution isn't the greatest - but if you are just wanting to use it for a reference / base map - it might be just the thing.  I used it for flight planning purposes all the time - knowing where to plan our LiDAR routes and how to space the flight lines.

I'll put up a screenshot of it here in a little bit.

Any interest? 
  • PaulTocknell
    Oh - I should add they are in a Global Mapper Package file so they load really quick.  Especially from a fast USB flash drive or DVD.  If I end up doing this - would you prefer them on a flash drive or DVD?
  • Swoody
    Hi Paul, I would definitely be interested - thank you!  Would prefer flash drive.  Please let me know how to proceed (paypal?)  Thanks again!
  • PaulTocknell
    Awesome.  Let me get them together and I'll update this post when they are ready.  Should be ready by the end of the week.  Yes - PayPal would probably be best.
  • Swoody
    Thank you!
  • PaulTocknell
    Answer ✓
    Just sent you a PM but the DEM base map is all set to go on a 16 GB jump flash drive.  It's super quick and loads fast in GM.  I think this is exactly what you were looking for!

http://screencast.com/t/gIzfbcUcP
  • Swoody
    Thanks Paul!
  • Are these still available? If so can I get a few screenshots 
  • marky9074
    marky9074 Global Mapper User
    Swoody said:
    Best thing I have found is Open Street Maps (free!). Too slow to download via Global Mapper - you get better results by going directly to their web page and downloading what you need. http://download.geofabrik.de/north-america.html

Thanks for that :)