Global Mapper v25.0

Google Map Tiles Data Source - File Names Too Long

In loading a Google Map Tile Data Source I created was getting the error 'Error downloding data tile *url goes here* Unable to copy from temp file C:\User\*Username*\AppData\Local\Temp\GlobalMapper\OSMB230.tmp to cache file C:\User\*Username*\AppData\Local\Temp\GlobalMapper\OSMTile\*approximately200chacterURL*\12\1578\1140.jpg'.

Upon checking the C:\User\*Username*\AppData\Local\Temp\GlobalMapper\OSMTile\*approximately200characterURL*\12\1578\ path it looks like the problem is caused because the resulting path name is too long. Specifically, if I try to manually create the folders that make up that path I get the error: The file name(s) would be too long for the destination folder. You can shorten the file name and try again, or try a location that has a shorter path.

So it seems that this problem is caused by the fact that the path that Global Mapper's trying to copy to tile data to is generated from the URL that it's grabbing from and it's possible to have URLs that are too long for Windows' 260 character file path limit (https://www.google.ca/search?q=windows%20file%20path%20limit&rct=j)

Answers

• bmg_bob
    bmg_bob Global Mapper Programmer
    What version of Global Mapper are you using?  
    Is the data source publicly accessible so we can test a fix when the time comes? If so, can you provide the URL?
  • 17.0. I can upgrade to 17.1 if you'd like, but I know it's existed for a while (I just couldn't figure out what the bug was until now).

The URL involves a proxy server that probably shouldn't be posted publicly. I'd be happy to send it you you privately though for testing purposes.
  • I've sent you a private message with it.
  • bmg_bob
    bmg_bob Global Mapper Programmer
    Thank you for sending the information.

I have opened item #17440 in our task list to address this issue.  We will post a message back to this thread when the status changes.
  • bmg_mike
    bmg_mike Global Mapper Guru Moderator, Trusted User
    Answer ✓
    I've fixed this so GM will ensure the local temp path for the tiles is under the system limit of 260 characters. I have placed new builds with the latest changes at http://data.bluemarblegeo.com/downloads/global-mapper/dailybuilds/ for you to try.

Thanks,

Mike
    Global Mapper Guru
    geohelp@bluemarblegeo.com
    http://www.bluemarblegeo.com/
  • It works great! Thank you!
  • my friend i was in same issue, i fixed my issue with"Long Path Tool", i was search -filename too long for destination folder- and found the issue, thanks nice conversation here if you want you can try first time and see the result. thanks
  • Long path error!
    "Long path tool" is very helpful for this problem. You can solve this
    problem like copy, delete, long path files by using this tool.
    I used to have similar problems too, but after using "long path tool"
    everything was solved.

• “Long Path Tool” is very helpful for this error !
    best solution for your problem.
  • I also use the Long Path Tool. Works greatt for me :)