Global Mapper v25.0

Open ESRI gdb files

cio
cio Global Mapper User
edited September 2014 in GIS Data Sources
Hello,

I have a gdb file on my local drive, no servers involved. How do you open it? The help menu talks about servers and enterprises options.. but nothing if you got a gdb from a different source and it's on your local drive.

Thanks!

Comments

• bmg_bob
    bmg_bob Global Mapper Programmer
    edited February 2014
    Hello,

Thank you for using Global Mapper. You can open an Esri File Geodatabase from the File->Open Data File(s)... menu item. Just click the menu item, choose "Esri File Geodatabase (GDB) File" from the list next to the File Name field, and browse to the location of your .gdb data. After you select the GDB, you will be prompted for the name of the spatial table to open.

Cheers,

Bob
  • bruce simonson
    bruce simonson Global Mapper User
    edited April 2014
    Howdy,

I just downloaded the latest version of Globalmapper (still unregistered, trying to make a decision to buy or not), and tried to open an ArcGIS 10.1 file geodatabase. Got this error:
    Unable to load overlay gdb
    Error opening table \AMD_rm_2013_006in_4band_tifs_BND.
    Invalid function arguments.
    ESRIFileGDBOverlay.cpp - 1046
    Version: v15.1.8 (64-bit)
    Build Time: Mar 31 2014 21:53:05

Curiosity makes me ask, is this an expected error? Windows 7, service pack 1.

Cheers,
    -Bruce

bmg_bob wrote: »
    Hello,

Thank you for using Global Mapper. You can open an Esri File Geodatabase from the File->Open Data File(s)... menu item. Just click the menu item, choose "Esri File Geodatabase (GDB) File" from the list next to the File Name field, and browse to the location of your .gdb data. After you select the GDB, you will be prompted for the name of the spatial table to open.

Cheers,

Bob
  • global_mapper
    global_mapper Administrator
    edited April 2014
    Bruce,

That error typically means that the GDB is not one that the free Esri library for loading File Geodatabases can handle. This means that you have to use the full Esri library to load it which requires an Esri license and also is limited to 32-bit only. If you have an Esri software license (ArcMap, ArcGis, etc.) on the machine, you can download and install the 32-bit GM from Global Mapper Downloads on the machine and load the file.

Thanks,

Mike
    Global Mapper Guru
    geohelp@bluemarblegeo.com
    Blue Marble Geographics for Coordinate Conversion, Image Reprojection and Vector Translation
  • bruce simonson
    bruce simonson Global Mapper User
    edited September 2014
    Hey Mike,

Coming back to this issue. If I understand correctly, I can use GM 32bit to access ESRI file geodatabases of raster datasets, if I have an active ESRI license on my machine. Fair enough.

However, we're looking at alternatives to ESRI licensing. GM seems like a great alternative. But it won't be viable for us, unless we can easily access our imagery (currently stored as ESRI raster datasets of many tiles ... e.g., 400) and vectors (similarly, built from many tiles) -- I'm willing to build an alternative to these ESRI file geodatabases, but not sure what to do.

So, I'm guessing here, is there a way to build the equivalent of an ESRI file geodatabases with raster datasets that will work in GM?

If not, our goal of not having a bunch of ESRI licenses, one for each staff member, can't be met. And I'll be sad.

Gotta be a way ...

-Bruce
    Bruce,

That error typically means that the GDB is not one that the free Esri library for loading File Geodatabases can handle. This means that you have to use the full Esri library to load it which requires an Esri license and also is limited to 32-bit only. If you have an Esri software license (ArcMap, ArcGis, etc.) on the machine, you can download and install the 32-bit GM from Global Mapper Downloads on the machine and load the file.

Thanks,

Mike
    Global Mapper Guru
    geohelp@bluemarblegeo.com
    Blue Marble Geographics for Coordinate Conversion, Image Reprojection and Vector Translation