Global Mapper v25.0

window based tablet or ultrabook with built-in GPS

marten
marten Global Mapper UserTrusted User
edited April 2014 in GPS Features
Does anyone have any recommendations for tablets and ultrabooks (other than Panasonic and Getac), that will function as mobile devices capable of running and navigating with GM?

So far I've come across the Dell Latitude 10, Asus Vivotab Smart, Samsung ATIV Smart PC Pro 700t, but there is a surprising lack of built in GPS capability?

Thanks in advance.

Marten

Comments

• tjhb
    tjhb Global Mapper User Trusted User
    edited October 2013
    I recently purchased a Garmin GLO GPS/GLONASS receiver, and strongly recommend it.

Bluetooth connectivity means you can use it with basically any tablet, ultrabook or notebook. It has excellent range. It's tiny--slightly larger than a box of matches, and light. Battery life said to be about 12 hours (not verified since it hasn't run out yet).

Reception and accuracy are excellent. Using GLONASS satellites as well as GPS makes a huge difference, especially under trees or in gorges and gullies.

Also... very cheap.
  • Allen
    Allen Global Mapper User
    edited January 2014
    Hey tjhb dear i am also using Garmin GLO GPS and all my friends have used it. It is very good for working and i am satisfied with its quality and features. I like this Gps technology.
  • Allen
    Allen Global Mapper User
    edited January 2014
    Allen wrote: »
    Hey tjhb dear i am also using Garmin GLO GPS and all my friends have used it. It is very good for working and i am satisfied with its quality and features. I like this Gps technology.
    Click here for more information
  • GayleShier
    GayleShier Global Mapper User Trusted User
    edited February 2014
    this one is looking a sound option to consider upon why i am looking forward to it ... appreciate suggesting it
  • DaveGoodrich
    DaveGoodrich Global Mapper User Trusted User
    edited April 2014
    Also, remember that many (all?) Windows 8 tablets use something called "Windows Location Provider" to communicate with their internal GPS. They do not use virtual COM ports and NMEA sentances like previous versions of Windows. As such, GM cannot communicate with these tablets directly. It looks like there may be a 3rd party solution Welcome to GPSDirect and GPSReverse GPS NMEA Windows 7 Windows 8 Sensor Driver iOS Android TCP