Global Mapper v25.0

Multiple profiles / batch profiling

the4thworld
the4thworld Global Mapper UserTrusted User
edited November 2013 in Suggestion Box
I noticed on the latest build (as part of this bug report) that each new profile is opened as a new instance of the profile tool. Would it be possible to batch create multiple profiles at once: such as selecting several polylines and under the Analysis/Measurement option in the right-click menu have a Path Profile option?

Also, allowing the user to set vertical exaggeration/match elevation scale to distance scale as default which I think would be a useful option.

The last thing I can think of that would really improve this tool is if there was an option to export the profile view itself as a DXF. That way you could have that cross-section look with reference (X and Y axes) that you could place next to the orthogonal view of the data. Right now, I have to rotate each cross section and build a reference grid around it to achieve this effect.

Thanks,
Matt

Comments

• global_mapper
    global_mapper Administrator
    edited November 2013
    Matt,

I have updated the option to show a path profile for a selected line to work for up to 8 selected lines at once, with each getting their own profile dialog. I have placed a new build at http://www.bluemarblegeo.com/downloads/global-mapper/global_mapper15.zip with the latest changes for you to try. Simply download that file and extract the contents into your existing v15.xx installation folder to give it a try. If you are using the 64-bit v15 version there is a new build at http://www.bluemarblegeo.com/downloads/global-mapper/global_mapper15_64bit.zip .

Would you want to be able to match the vertical exaggeration to scale always at 1:1 or just have an option to remember the last setting?

For the DXF export, would you want any real-world units for the graph view or just save the pixel sizes as the DXF X and Y values so you get exactly the aspect you see on the screen?

Thanks,

Mike
    Global Mapper Guru
    geohelp@bluemarblegeo.com
    Blue Marble Geographics for Coordinate Conversion, Image Reprojection and Vector Translation
  • the4thworld
    the4thworld Global Mapper User Trusted User
    edited November 2013
    Mike,
    Thank you! I will check out the new build. In response to your other questions:

Personally I would like it to always scale to 1:1, but I can see where others might not want that functionality. I think just remembering the last setting would be the best way to go.

For the DXF export, maintaining the aspect ratio is the most important part. As long as the axes are labelled you could re-size it in AutoCAD to make sense in a layout. I've attached an example of how we have used GM with AutoCAD in the past so you can see what the final product looks like. Hopefully this will help give you an idea of what we're trying to accomplish.

rd1.pdf

Thank you,
    Matt
  • geo72
    geo72 Global Mapper User Trusted User
    edited November 2013
    Hello Matt and Mike,

oh that's exactly what I want to accomplish, too :) !

But sometimes I have to tot one step further: Compare different profiles of one and the same x/y-position (but different z-values).
    In other words: Multible Profiles in one Path(-window)!
    I use this for example comparing a current state (data from UAV-drone) with an old/future state.

Is this feasible? Would be a great help!

Thanks,

Oliver
  • global_mapper
    global_mapper Administrator
    edited November 2013
    Oliver,

In the future we plan to add direct support for that where there are multiple surfaces. For now what you can do is resample the line of interest using the Digitizer Tool Move/Reshape submenu so that it has a lot of vertices along the path. Then right-click and use the Analyze option to add per-vertex elevations from the terrain. Then, turn off the top layer that the terrains were just assigned from, select the line, then select the Path Profile command under the Analyze menu. You should then see the profile along the line with the elevations from the visible turn (what was underneath originally) and the line 3D path itself drawn in space above that.

Thanks,

Mike
    Global Mapper Guru
    geohelp@bluemarblegeo.com
    Blue Marble Geographics for Coordinate Conversion, Image Reprojection and Vector Translation
  • geo72
    geo72 Global Mapper User Trusted User
    edited November 2013
    Mike,

Thanks for this workflow and the future-outlook!

Oliver
  • Any update on this?
    I'm now on 17.1, is there any way to batch create a number of profiles (along route) and export as a multiple page PDF or similar, (with a nice overview etc..) 
  • I found the easiest way to accomplish this task (multiple sections) at this point was a mouse/keyboard track/macro... you just need to keep the window in the same spot each time (upper left corner of screen for instance)... you can have the program increase an integer number at the end of the filename each time you output a x-section and then combine the BMP's to make a pdf afterwards.
    https://www.turnssoft.com/mini-mouse-macro.html

Would be nice if this type of ability was in the GM program, but i'm no programmmer and took we about 20 minutes to setup this macro to work fine. (watch their you tube tutorial on "variables" and intro one)