Global Mapper v25.0

Unable to Open ASCII

kbellis
kbellis Global Mapper UserTrusted User
edited November 2013 in Bug Report
Dang - stared at this long enough. Could be a bug?
[B]15689-10-11-2.csv[/B]
240154.241,2229108.652,15689-10
239849.589,2229499.678,15689-11
[B]15689-10-11.csv[/B]
240154.241    2229108.652    15689-10
239849.589    2229499.678    15689-11

Many tests and trials; auto detect, comma, tab - didn't matter, still get this:
cannot open ASCII.PNG

cannot open ASCII 02.PNG

Comments

• global_mapper
    global_mapper Administrator
    edited November 2013
    Do you have it open in Excel? The error means the file couldn't be opened at all, which usually means another application has it locked, which Excel does when you have it open in it.

Thanks,

Mike
    Global Mapper Guru
    geohelp@bluemarblegeo.com
    Blue Marble Geographics for Coordinate Conversion, Image Reprojection and Vector Translation
  • kbellis
    kbellis Global Mapper User Trusted User
    edited November 2013
    Don't have Excel, don't have any app open running using it. created in TextPad - then closed.
  • global_mapper
    edited November 2013
    Is it possible maybe something else that had it opened locked up on shutdown or something so it's still running with it locked? Can you copy the file in Windows Explorer to another location or does that fail too?

Thanks,

Mike
    Global Mapper Guru
    Blue Marble Geographics for Coordinate Conversion, Image Reprojection and Vector Translation
  • kbellis
    edited November 2013
    Will reboot system and try again.. standby
  • kbellis
    edited November 2013
    kbellis wrote: »
    Will reboot system and try again.. standby

nope.

weird - ain't it?

Try, if you like

MDOT.zip
    MDOT.zip 116.5K
  • global_mapper
    edited November 2013
    I tried and those files won't open for me either. It is bizarre the filename is passed down to a low-level windows function to check to see if it exists and it says that it doesn't. If I rename the file, even re-typing it exactly as it shows in Windows Explorer, it then loads just fine.

I had a hunch and tried selecting the file as a Unicode file and found the issue. Somehow the hyphen stored for you isn't the normal ASCII hyphen but is a Unicode hyphen with hex code 0x2010. Global Mapper isn't a Unicode application so when it converts the filename to the current code page it is translated to a normal hyphen, which then doesn't match the file on disk. If you rename the file and delete then re-type the hyphens they should then be correct. I'm not sure how you created them like they are now at all. When we ever switch GM to a Unicode application then this will go away, but really that would be for things like filenames in different languages, like Chinese, etc.

Thanks,

Mike
    Global Mapper Guru
  • kbellis
    edited November 2013
    Brilliant sleuthing! Those MDOT cut sheets on their two control points, they're at the source of the issue... and my laziness of preferring to cut and paste at every corner clipped. Apparently the formatting in the pdf lingered into the file name... weird - ain't it?

Thanks a petabyte!