Global Mapper v25.0

Synchronize GM on different computers

SpyXIV
SpyXIV Global Mapper User
edited January 2012 in Technical Support
Hi,

An other project of mine is to find a way to synchronize a single GM workspace on different computers. The goal is that when one computer adds (or delete) a feature, the other computers automaticly have it too so that every computer has the same points/lines in their workspace.

After a bit of seach, this seems to be impossible so I just want to confirm that with you ?

Thanks,
SpyXIV

Comments

• global_mapper
    global_mapper Administrator
    edited January 2012
    You are correct it wouldn't quite be possible via workspaces, but if you have some common data file that is shared you could just export to that (I'd recommend a package file) whenever you change something, then when other machines reload that package file they would get the changes. However you would have to be careful not to have multiple people working on the same thing at the same time otherwise changes would be lost.

Thanks,

Mike
  • SpyXIV
    edited January 2012
    But this wouldn't be automatic would it ? You'll have to export/ import on other computer each time no ?
  • global_mapper
    global_mapper Administrator
    edited January 2012
    That's correct. There is not currently any auto-matic way to say sync'd so if you were editing data those features would show up real time for someone else. You would need much more expensive software for something like that LOL.

Thanks,

Mike
  • SpyXIV
    edited January 2012
    That's what I thought. Thanks for the quick answer.
  • Hi,

Is there a way to do this in the last recent version (i.e. share the same GM workspace among multi-users without export/import any files)? or any plan to implement such a great time-saving tool in future releases?

Thanks.
    Ab.
  • JeffH@BMG
    JeffH@BMG Global Mapper Developer Trusted User
    Hi Ab,

The only way that I know how to do this using Global Mapper workspaces would be to have an identical drive/folder setup among all of the users. For example, at our office, we have some large drives that we use for shared storage of data files. Using Windows drive mapping, we use several common drive letters that everyone uses to refer to various locations in the data file system (and we can do this from remote locations as well). Workspaces that refer to those drives can be loaded from any employee's computer. The only difficulty with this approach is being careful about multiple users using the same workspace, and who want to make changes to the workspace or to the files it refers to.

Best regards,

~Jeff