Global Mapper v25.0

GDAL support

TobWen
TobWen Global Mapper UserTrusted User
edited August 2011 in Suggestion Box
How about adding GDAL support for GlobalMapper?
You could get tons of new import- and export-filters and professional users could make use of PostGIS-support.

Many commercial tools use GDAL, f.e. ArcGIS does. The license is compatible and GDAL has very good support in Linux, Windows and MacOS. Things like this won't be a problem again: http://www.globalmapperforum.com/forums/suggestion-box/7034-spatilite-support.html

This wouldn't need much coding on your side, the API is simple and easy.

Comments

• global_mapper
    global_mapper Administrator
    edited August 2011
    There is actually quite a bit of GDAL use inside Global Mapper already, just not the entire suite. Basically we add formats from the GDAL library one at a time. If things like Spatialite or PostGIS are already in GDAL we can probably add support pretty easily, unless there is a bunch of additional setup required, which I expect there might be for generic database layers.

Thanks,

Mike
    Global Mapper Support
    support@globalmapper.com
  • TobWen
    TobWen Global Mapper User Trusted User
    edited August 2011
    There is actually quite a bit of GDAL use inside Global Mapper already, just not the entire suite. Basically we add formats from the GDAL library one at a time..

Please read the license
    The above copyright notice and this permission notice shall be included
    in all copies or substantial portions of the Software.
    (see http://trac.osgeo.org/gdal/wiki/FAQGeneral#WhatlicensedoesGDALOGRuse)
    If things like Spatialite or PostGIS are already in GDAL we can probably add support pretty easily, unless there is a bunch of additional setup required, which I expect there might be for generic database layers.

Do it the easy way: Just give us a commandline or a line for parameters to enter them in ogr2ogr- (vector) or gdal- (imagery) style.
  • redbeard
    redbeard Global Mapper User Trusted User
    edited August 2011
    I didn't know arc used gdal - I've heard rumors, but never anything outright. Though I've heard that most GIS programs use GDAL though I've never seen it written somewhere.

So with what you say - Arc should be able to support spatiallite? That'd be better for cross platform file geodatabase types...

All things said, GM takes in and puts out more formats than arc does....
  • global_mapper
    global_mapper Administrator
    edited August 2011
    I slightly mis-spoke about the use of GDAL in Global Mapper. Global Mapper doesn't use GDAL itself, it just uses several of the same low-level file import/export libraries that GDAL itself also makes use of. The GDAL architecture isn't used as Global Mapper already has its own architecture developed long before GDAL existed, so the GDAL wrappers around those low-level libraries aren't used, our own wrappers are developed around them that fit our architecture.

Thanks,

Mike
    Global Mapper Support
    support@globalmapper.com
  • TobWen
    TobWen Global Mapper User Trusted User
    edited August 2011
    redbeard wrote: »
    So with what you say - Arc should be able to support spatiallite? That'd be better for cross platform file geodatabase types...

Not on GUI, but it might work with Python commandline processing or Model Builder - so you might build your own box on the toolbar. Also, there is a version of ZigGIS, which supports writing to SpatiaLite
    redbeard wrote: »
    All things said, GM takes in and puts out more formats than arc does....

It was just a hint, how to get more import and export formats into GM without much programming. It's easy to update GDAL on windows, since it's one DLL only.
    I slightly mis-spoke about the use of GDAL in Global Mapper. Global Mapper doesn't use GDAL itself, it just uses several of the same low-level file import/export libraries that GDAL itself also makes use of.

Why don't you add the support? It might be a HUGE benefit for GM.