Global Mapper v25.0

Separate CAD files into layers

kfroese
kfroese Geotechnical EngineerTrusted User
edited August 2011 in Suggestion Box
The scenario: I received a microstation drawing (but could have been AutoCAD) with about 15 layers in it, each representing a particular highway route option the client wanted me to evaluate. To simplify my evaluation, I really needed each alignment on it's own GM layer so I could easily turn on and off. I did this manually by Search by Attribute... and sorting by layer (within the DGN) and then selecting all items in the same layer and manually pushing them on to a GM layer. Seems to me that this could be automated fairly simply with GM itself. Say, file in Overlay Control Center, and have a right-click option to "explode" to layers. This would essentially replicate the layer structure of the CAD drawing in GM Overlay Control. Quickly toss all the created layers into a group (love that feature by the way) and that would be very helpful.

Comments

• global_mapper
    global_mapper Administrator
    edited March 2011
    I think I can add an option to do that. It would likely automatically group the layers. I'll get back to you when I have that added.

Thanks,

Mike
    Global Mapper Support
    support@globalmapper.com
  • global_mapper
    edited March 2011
    I have completed adding a new right-click option to the Control Center allowing you to split a layer into new sub-layers by some attribute value or the feature description, type or name. The new layers are automatically grouped together under a group with the same name as the original layer. I have placed a new build at http://www.globalmapper.com/global_mapper12.zip with the change for you to try. Simply download that file and extract the contents into your existing v12.xx installation folder to give it a try. If you are using the 64-bit v12 version there is a new build at http://www.globalmapper.com/global_mapper12_64bit.zip .

Let me know if I can be of further assistance.

Thanks,

Mike
    Global Mapper Support
    support@globalmapper.com
  • papaver
    papaver Global Mapper User Trusted User
    edited March 2011
    Thank you very very much Mike, for this usefull improvment !
  • kfroese
    kfroese Geotechnical Engineer Trusted User
    edited March 2011
    This is fantastic! I went back to the drawing that led me to request this feature - it took less than a second to do what took me about 20 minutes of manual plodding. This features works even better than I had imagined and I love the automatic grouping. Just outstanding. My colleagues are also quite delighted.

I really through it a test and gave it about 800Mb worth of LAS point clouds to process. My machine ran full out for about 45 minutes and when it was done, I had my point clouds on to layers based on the feature type (ground, vegetation, structures, etc.) and grouped by the original file. Saved me uncounted hours of work!
  • chuckyeager69
    chuckyeager69 Global Mapper User Trusted User
    edited June 2011
    I put the new files in the global mapper program file but got this error that it failed to start because lti_dsdk.dll was not found. Any ideas?
  • global_mapper
    edited July 2011
    You first need to have v12.02 installed. Get that from the links below, then apply the patch:

32-bit: http://www.globalmapper.com/global_mapper12_setup.exe
    64-bit: http://www.globalmapper.com/global_mapper12_setup_64bit.exe

Let me know if I can be of further assistance.

Thanks,

Mike
    Global Mapper Support
    support@globalmapper.com
  • chuckyeager69
    edited August 2011
    When I added the patch after successfully upgraded to 12.02 the <Description> field where the layer information was stored changed, for the most part, from the AutoCAD layer name to 0. I had already upgraded to 12.02 but noticed the difference before applying the patch and afterwards. I even ran 64bit version with the patch and the 32bit without the patch at the same time to confirm that it was something to do with the patch. Any thoughts?
  • global_mapper
    edited August 2011
    Is this only happening when you split the features up into layers based on some attribute, or does this happen for all DXF files? Do you have a sample DXF file that you can provide?

Thanks,

Mike
    Global Mapper Support
    support@globalmapper.com
  • chuckyeager69
    edited August 2011
    This happened with a dwg file before i could split the featues into layers b/c there was no distinguishing attributes. I will try to get you a sample file that this happened to.