Global Mapper v25.0

GDAL VRT support

redbeard
redbeard Global Mapper UserTrusted User
edited April 2010 in Suggestion Box
Just a suggestion. http://www.gdal.org/gdalbuildvrt.html http://www.gdal.org/gdal_vrttut.html for some info. It's basically a raster catalog that some other programs can use. Well any program that uses gdal.

Comments

• global_mapper
    global_mapper Administrator
    edited March 2010
    Do you have a sample VRT file? It might be something that we can transform into a Global Mapper catalog.

Thanks,

Mike
    Global Mapper Support
    support@globalmapper.com
  • redbeard
    redbeard Global Mapper User Trusted User
    edited March 2010
    I don't. I was trying to create one in another program, and it seems to crash that program 100% of the time. Hence, the suggestion to create one. :)
  • redbeard
    edited March 2010
    Here's a sample vrt file...it's one made by the qgis with the gdal extensions. The extension is .vrt but I changed it to .txt so I could upload it. It seems to work.
  • global_mapper
    global_mapper Administrator
    edited March 2010
    I've taken a look at the VRT documentation, but it doesn't look like it fits very well with the existing map catalog functionality in Global Mapper. The best I could probably do is allow loading a VRT from the map catalog dialog and just extract the list of files from the VRT and add them to the map catalog. Would this even be of any use?

Thanks,

Mike
    Global Mapper Support
    support@globalmapper.com
  • redbeard
    edited March 2010
    No, at least not enough to be worth the trouble. I can create the vrt with some cli tools or use qgis, but it's only for a small project I have. For the most part I just prepare the files with Global Mapper (batch utility is most awesome) and create a vrt when I need it.

But thanks for looking into this.
  • marrydavidson101
    marrydavidson101 Global Mapper User
    edited April 2010
    thanks for sharing this its so nice of you
  • EvanThoms
    EvanThoms Global Mapper User Trusted User
    Bumping this suggestion up. Sure would be great if Global Mapper could open VRT files and their overviews.