Global Mapper v25.0

polygon copy error - GM v12.02

laughlin
laughlin Global Mapper UserTrusted User
edited May 2013 in Bug Report
Have recently encountered auto-overwrite of feature type attribute values when copying attributes from one workspace window to another.

I have a large number of polygons with generated slope value ranges and working with those in 3D on a terrain model to select a sample for field assessment. Simply copying the polygons needed and pasting to a new workspace for review and final selection for fieldwork planning.

GM is overwriting the existing feature type values in the copied set (in this case slope ranges) with a 'global' value for all polygons, apparently based on the coding of first object selected. I have another field with a corresponding slope value so i can at least search by that and re-sytlize my data for accurate display. Just wondering if possible to tame that behaviour out of the mix up front.

Comments

• global_mapper
    global_mapper Administrator
    edited May 2013
    I'm not quite clear on what is changing when pasting into the new instance. Is it the polygon classification code or is it some of the attributes, or perhaps the styling? Do you have a sample data set that demonstrates the error?

Thanks,

Mike
    Global Mapper Guru
    gmsupport@bluemarblegeo.com
    Blue Marble Geographics for Coordinate Conversion, Image Reprojection and Vector Translation
  • laughlin
    laughlin Global Mapper User Trusted User
    edited May 2013
    Hi Mike,

Two screen shots on board to show what is happening. In first, i have an example polygon selected with display of its attributes. In this case it is a 0-5° slope surface - tiny little doughnut shaped feature to left edge of attribute name heading. When generating these data sets, i used the export equal areas to FLT file routine routine and then exported the 0-5 features as a separate shapefile layer, likewise with the 5-10 degree slopes.
    Capture GM slopes source data specs.PNG

When i copy any of these features from a loaded project workspace, the feature type value changes from what it actually was to a single 'global value' So far it is taking all 0-5 ° slope features and resetting to 5-10 when selecting multiple objects from a workspace with both the 0-5 and 5-10 slope layers loaded. Have tried selecting 0-5 areas first then the 5-10s and reverse in a given area... all seem to default to values of 5-10 in the feature type field. The second screen shot shows result, top feature is the reference object from previous.

Capture GM slopes data pasted new.PNG

I can go in afterward and re-symbolize based on the actual slope value i extracted in generating the data sets from DEM. This will also let me re-set the feature type values to what they actually are in original data set. However, i have found two instances now where the actual slope values in the slope field have been auto-adjusted with a literal text string merge of the original with the reset from copy/paste to new workspace ie. an original slope field value of '5' becomes '5,10' after copy/paste to new instance of GM.

Have checked general and vector options dialog in case there is a setting to control standardizing of attributes during copy/paste operations. Can certainly see where this might be very useful, just not in the present case. If not for the occasional change of real slope values in the slope field, it would be a simple snap to reset the feature type values from a search by on the slope value field.

Appreciate any pointers to working around this.
  • global_mapper
    edited May 2013
    Can you try downloading v14 from Global Mapper Downloads and requesting a trial, then see if the same thing happens in v14? There have been several changes in the copy/paste functionality since v12 I'm thinking this may just be some behavior that you can now control at paste time.

If it still fails, can you provide a sample data set (like a .gmw if the features are generated dynamically) and I will see what is happening?

Thanks,

Mike
    Global Mapper Guru
    Blue Marble Geographics for Coordinate Conversion, Image Reprojection and Vector Translation
  • laughlin
    edited May 2013
    Mike,

That fixed things just fine in GM 14. Some nice new features added there too. Only wrinkle is my trial is due to expire this friday. I had already used up the allowed quota of test drives playing around with data exports and terrain analysis before a real project needed tackling. No complaints there... the new model just not on the horizon for a spell.

In the interim, i found a workaround - copying in GM12, pasting into GM14 and copy/pasting the result back into a new instance of GM12. This keeps all attributes intact. Looks like the trouble spot is the pasting routine within GM12. Upgrading to GM 14 may be a spell yet but at least i have a short-term workaround with this project. Much better than the hunt and peck i was doing to validate and reset values as needed.

welcome any solutions for within GM 12. do not think this has been an issue with GM 12 before, certainly not with point data and pretty sure i've reliably copied/pasted mixed polygon objects before, trouble free. Wondering if it might be related to the derived source of the polygons themselves.

thanks!
  • global_mapper
    edited May 2013
    That is a pretty clever workaround! You might try getting the latest v12 build just in case it was something fixed after the v12.02 release. I have placed a new build at http://www.bluemarblegeo.com/downloads/global-mapper/global_mapper12.zip with the latest changes for you to try. Simply download that file and extract the contents into your existing v12.xx installation folder to give it a try. If you are using the 64-bit v12 version there is a new build at http://www.bluemarblegeo.com/downloads/global-mapper/global_mapper12_64bit.zip .

Thanks,

Mike
    Global Mapper Guru
  • laughlin
    edited May 2013
    Mike,

Thanks a lot for the effort with the latest of v12.02..Forgot to check that solution. No change this time around with the polygon copies but at least my current is up to date. Much appreciated!

Last time i loaded a latest build was with GM 11 so rusty on the fine points. All copied in fine to existing GM 12 64 folder (the exe and two small las/los files). When i launch, get unrecognized publisher warning. Can ignore and all loads fine. Is it possible to make that step disappear. More cosmetic than functional but makes me wonder if something didn't settle in the make over.

thanks,
    Laughlin
  • global_mapper
    edited May 2013
    Laughlin,

It's likely that the patched .exe simply isn't digitally signed. I think you can right click on it in Windows Explorer and on the Properties check something to indicate it is trusted so you don't see that anymore.

Thanks,

Mike
    Global Mapper Guru