Global Mapper v25.0

Catalog of GM Workspace Files?

Roger Edrinn
Roger Edrinn Global Mapper UserTrusted User
edited April 2013 in Technical Support
Can I create a Map Catalog of Workspace files? When I tried a test, I got a dialog requesting an Overlay, with a huge number of options. Not sure what to select.

Here's what I'm trying to accomplish: I want take my TIGER county files and rather than have a whole state in one GMW file, (takes forever to open) and have each county as an individual GMW file (fast open and modify). I could create county package files but those can't be modified. So a catalog of GMW files would allow me to modify the counties as needed.

Running GM 13.2 if that matters.

Thanks

Comments

• global_mapper
    global_mapper Administrator
    edited April 2013
    Roger,

The map catalog doesn't currently support having workspace files added to it directly, although this could be added. It wouldn't quite do exactly what you want though since map catalogs are not designed to all editing in the general since. You can edit features loaded from the map catalog, but if normal panning and zooming would result in that map being unloaded then the changes are lost if you haven't saved them.

Now saying that I just had a thought. I could modify the map catalogs to both allow workspaces and also have some extra smarts so it won't ever unload a layer that has been loaded and has modifications to it. That way you wouldn't ever lose any modifications without a warning.

These changes would of course go in a new v14 build so you would have to upgrade to get them, but I could make them pretty quickly.

Thanks,

Mike
    Global Mapper Guru
    gmsupport@bluemarblegeo.com
    Blue Marble Geographics for Coordinate Conversion, Image Reprojection and Vector Translation
  • Roger Edrinn
    Roger Edrinn Global Mapper User Trusted User
    edited April 2013
    Mike,

Plan A:
    Would be to store all the unique GMW files in a single folder. Then edit only each county one-at-a-time and re-save to the same folder/file.gmw. Next time I opened the catalog, it would load the new edited file.

Plan B: This would be the same edited file.gmw except each time I finished an edit, I'd export a package file and the Map Catalog would load the latest saved package file.

If I understand your reply, Plan B is my only option with v13.2?

BTW, what was the overlay all about?

Thanks
  • global_mapper
    global_mapper Administrator
    edited April 2013
    The dialog requesting the overlay type is simply because workspace files are special and the normal file loader doesn't know what they are, so it prompts you for the file type. The map catalog just doesn't use a more general loader that supports workspace files yet.

I think I would recommend saving your edits in a GMP file anyway rather than a workspace. That way it's easier to ship them off somewhere and also version control them if you ever want to go back to earlier versions since the GMP files don't have any external dependencies and the GMW files will reference the original files on disk, which could go away while the GMW file remains.

Thanks,

Mike
    Global Mapper Guru
    gmsupport@bluemarblegeo.com
    Blue Marble Geographics for Coordinate Conversion, Image Reprojection and Vector Translation
  • Roger Edrinn
    Roger Edrinn Global Mapper User Trusted User
    edited April 2013
    I think I would recommend saving your edits in a GMP file anyway rather than a workspace. That way it's easier to ship them off somewhere and also version control them if you ever want to go back to earlier versions since the GMP files don't have any external dependencies and the GMW files will reference the original files on disk, which could go away while the GMW file remains.
    Makes sense.

Thanks