Global Mapper v25.0

Copy Attribute Error (v14.1.3)

RobertR
RobertR GlobalMapper Fan!Trusted User
edited May 2013 in Bug Report
I tries to copy attributes from area features to some point features and I get the following error:

Unhandled exception processing command message.
Write access violation at data address 0x0000000000000008,
program address 0x000000014048E4D0.

Version: v14.1.3 (b032413) [64-bit]
Build Time: Mar 24 2013 22:32:36

Comments

• RobertR
    RobertR GlobalMapper Fan! Trusted User
    edited April 2013
    I get the following error when trying to convert the areas form the same source to point:

Unhandled exception processing command message.
    Write access violation at data address 0x00000004,
    program address 0x0075FDA8.

Version: v14.1.3
    Build Time: Mar 24 2013 22:42:52
  • global_mapper
    global_mapper Administrator
    edited April 2013
    Robert,

Can you get the latest from http://www.bluemarblegeo.com/products/global-mapper-download.php and see if it has the same problem? If so can you provide some data that reproduces the issue?

Thanks,

Mike
    Global Mapper Guru
    gmsupport@bluemarblegeo.com
    http://www.bluemarblegeo.com/products/global-mapper.p
  • RobertR
    edited April 2013
    Maybe it's a shape problem. I tried it with another set and it worked fine.

I have a different problem now that I installed the last build... When I double click a shapefile, it opens in the currently opened GM workspace, and not in a new instance.

Did anyone else get this? :confused:
  • global_mapper
    edited April 2013
    Robert,

That is actually a feature of the latest builds. Rather than starting a new instance every time you double-click on a data file that Global Mapper handles that file is instead loaded up in an existing instance of Global Mapper. If you want it loaded in a new instance you could open a new Global Mapper, then drag it into that. Or if this becomes a big nuisance I could add an option to control this behavior.

Thanks,

Mike
    Global Mapper Guru
    http://www.bluemarblegeo.com/
  • RobertR
    edited April 2013
    hmm..well, maybe I am just not used with this new feature. Sometimes it is very useful indeed (when working on the same area);

But today, just to give an example, when the GM window was minimized on the taskbar, I double clicked an already loaded shapefile and I got this:

snip.JPG

My background view is white by default.

But all in all, I think it's a good tweak.
    snip.JPG 135.4K
  • tjhb
    tjhb Global Mapper User Trusted User
    edited April 2013
    That is actually a feature of the latest builds. Rather than starting a new instance every time you double-click on a data file that Global Mapper handles that file is instead loaded up in an existing instance of Global Mapper.

That sounds intriguing Mike. (I'm still a couple of installer builds behind so haven't seen the new behaviour yet.)

There will be a structural rationale behind this change--can you say what it is at this stage?

(And will GM scripts, by default, when *.gms files are associated with GM, still load in a separate instance? I would certainly miss that.)

TB
  • tjhb
    tjhb Global Mapper User Trusted User
    edited April 2013
    (On that last comment: on a quad-core machine with hyper-threading, and SSDs for input and output, for a large workload I try to subdivide the tasks into several scripts, then ideally keep five instances running at a time. This seems to make the best use of the available cores, without noticeable drag from context-switching. Six tasks does not seem faster overall. This would vary by CPU.--I thought I'd say how I tend to use GM.)
  • RobertR
    edited April 2013
    tjhb wrote: »
    That sounds intriguing Mike. (I'm still a couple of installer builds behind so haven't seen the new behaviour yet.)

(And will GM scripts, by default, when *.gms files are associated with GM, still load in a separate instance? I would certainly miss that.)

TB

I think the *gms files are treated separately. I tried to run two .gmscripts at once but the behavior seems to be normal, or at least, so it seems. I guess that they run separately as even when you run the script from the GM interface it lets you run only one script at a time.

But I also tried with *.gmw files and unfortunately here they load in the already open instance which is kinda troublesome because they are different projects.

Maybe it would be better if the double click on associated files could remain as they were, and the current option to be moved to a right-click command.

I did not try to see what happens if you have multiple instances opened. :)
  • global_mapper
    edited April 2013
    The .gmw behavior is the same as it always was. I went ahead and updated the behavior so if you double-click a workspace file it will open that in a new instance. If you have multiple instances open and want to open in a particular one I would just drag the file to the one that you want or just use File->Open in that instance.

I have placed a new build at http://www.bluemarblegeo.com/downloads/global-mapper/global_mapper14.zip with the latest changes for you to try. Simply download that file and extract the contents into your existing v14.xx installation folder to give it a try. If you are using the 64-bit v14 version there is a new build at http://www.bluemarblegeo.com/downloads/global-mapper/global_mapper14_64bit.zip .

Thanks,

Mike
    Global Mapper Guru
    Blue Marble Geographics for Coordinate Conversion, Image Reprojection and Vector Translation
  • RobertR
    edited April 2013
    Thank you Mike,

I have to admit that opening the shapefiles in the same windows really slows a bunch of us down.

We work with data from all over the country and you often have to jump from one to the other asap to check things.

Can you place a built that would keep the old behavior? to open the files in a new instance? or some option in the configuration tab?
  • global_mapper
    edited April 2013
    Robert,

Someone else just asked for the old behavior last night, so I added an option to get that back to a new build. The new option is near the top of the Advanced section of the General tab of the Configuration dialog. I have placed a new build at http://www.bluemarblegeo.com/downloads/global-mapper/global_mapper14.zip with the latest changes for you to try. Simply download that file and extract the contents into your existing v14.xx installation folder to give it a try. If you are using the 64-bit v14 version there is a new build at http://www.bluemarblegeo.com/downloads/global-mapper/global_mapper14_64bit.zip .

Thanks,

Mike
    Global Mapper Guru
    Blue Marble Geographics for Coordinate Conversion, Image Reprojection and Vector Translation
  • RobertR
    edited May 2013
    The .gmw behavior is the same as it always was. I went ahead and updated the behavior so if you double-click a workspace file it will open that in a new instance.
    Thanks,

Mike
    Global Mapper Guru

How about when double-clicking a data file that Global Mapper handles? At least a bunch of us around here, would like to have the option of using the old behavior, when the data opens in different instances. Is it possible to add this somewhere in Tool-> Configure...-> General tab? a checkbox maybe
  • global_mapper
    edited May 2013
    Robert,

That's what the option described in the previous post is. So if you get the latest build of GM and check the new option in the ADvanced section of the General tab of the Configuration dialog to always open a new instance that should get you back the old behavior.

Thanks,

Mike
    Global Mapper Guru
  • RobertR
    edited May 2013
    Mike,

I have to apologize for the previous post. I am scanning the forums all day long and whilst I was following this topic, my page remained blocked on the first page so the last message I saw was the one I quoted. I did not see the posts on the second page.

Sorry again, I will try to remember to access the last post instead of opening the topic title..