3d skp building editing

Steve MorganSteve Morgan Old GIS GuyPosts: 25Trusted User
edited January 2013 in Vector Data
Guru, I've got a building from Google Earth warehouse that I've imported as a skp and need to enhance. It contains a combination of area features that are horizontal, vertical, or slanted as reflected in their vertices. I need to first find and delete area features that fall entirely within a min and max elevation (as defined by their vertices). This will allow me to take off the roof shapes and leave the vertical walls (note that the top of the walls have the same elevation as the roofs that I want to delete) hence I need to just delete shapes that are entirely above that elevation. The remaining vertical walls appear as "lines" in plan view (ie. they are hollow and not areas in that perspective)). I need to combine these "hollow" walls into "solid" walls in the plan view. Ultimately I'm trying to create "solid" wall shapes (in plan view) that I can export to shp files for each floor to feed a model that requires these walls with an ELEVATION and HEIGHT attribute for each. Assuming I can crate the "solid" walls I expect I can create the desired shp files by adjusting the attributes of the walls at export time. Any ideas on approach would be greatly appreciated. Steve

Comments

• global_mapperglobal_mapper Administrator Posts: 17,238
    edited January 2013
    Steve,

I would suggest using the Digitizer Tool to select your areas, then right-click and select the Measure submenu item to calculate elevation statistics for the areas. You should then have attributes like MIN_ELEV, AVG_ELEV, and MAX_ELEV added to the area attributes from the per-vertex elevations. If you need to then add an attribute for the elevation spread, right-click on the layer in the Control Center and select the CALC ATTR option, then create a new attribute (maybe ELEV_DIFF) that is MAX_ELEV minus the MIN_ELEV.

You can search on the attributes using the Search menu/toolbar command and edit the results from there.

Let me know if I can be of further assistance.

Thanks,

Mike
    Global Mapper Guru
    gmsupport@bluemarblegeo.com
    http://www.bluemarblegeo.com/
  • Steve MorganSteve Morgan Old GIS Guy Posts: 25Trusted User
    edited January 2013
    Mike,

Thanks for getting back and sounds like the right approach, get MAX-MIN ELEV and I'm off to the races. I tried the Measure submenu and don't get these attributes updated. There seem to be several "Measure" submenus (Digitizer>Attribute/Style Functions>Add/Update the Measure... , Digitizer>Analysis/Measurement>Add/Update the Measure...). Using both I end up with perimeter and enclosed area but no MIN-MAX_ELEV. I'm missing something. Do I need to have some sort of elevation layer loaded for this to work? I wouldn't think so since all I'm trying to derive these elevations from the Z coordinates of the vectors.
  • global_mapperglobal_mapper Administrator Posts: 17,238
    edited January 2013
    Sorry the one you want is actually the 'Calculate Elevation/Slope Stats' option under the Measure submenu. That one analyzes the elevation values and adds attributes based on their values.

Thanks,

Mike
    Global Mapper Guru
    gmsupport@bluemarblegeo.com
    http://www.bluemarblegeo.com/
  • Steve MorganSteve Morgan Old GIS Guy Posts: 25Trusted User
    edited January 2013
    Mike, That nailed at and thanks as always.

Steve