Constructing a profile of various elevation data

pwave1pwave1 Global Mapper UserPosts: 10
edited September 2012 in Technical Support
Hi, I've been working with students collecting various types of position data for geological analysis. We would like to construct a profile of the data to compare them. We have data of varying resolution including 10m DEM, Digitized topo, Handheld GPS (waypoints and tracklines), RTK GPS and auto level survey. We have combined all of the data as points in GM 13.2. I would like to profile along one of the GPS tracklines (we conducted the other surveys along the trackline) and display all of the data simultaneously. So, a) can I profile an individual GPS trackline? and b) can I create a profile that displays all of them? Thank you for your help, Mark

Comments

• global_mapperglobal_mapper Administrator Posts: 17,238
    edited September 2012
    Mark,

You can create a path profile from a selected line feature by selecting it with the Digitizer Tool, then right-clicking and selecting the option to generate a path profile from the line. You can repeat this a line at a time if you need to see the profile for multiple lines. You can have multiple profile windows open at once.

Thanks,

Mike
    Global Mapper Guru
    gmsupport@bluemarblegeo.com
    http://www.globalmapper.com
  • pwave1pwave1 Global Mapper User Posts: 10
    edited September 2012
    Mike,

Thanks for the quick and informative response. So, now I'm wondering if I can modify my inquiry. Since I have several sources of data, some continuous, like a track-line and some discrete, like waypoints or survey points, can I create a line over the top of those data using the digitizer tool (call it a transect or profile line) and then profile all of the data that exists in individual layers along that transect? It would require that the profiler understand that data points beneath the transect line are being evaluated along that line.

Again, thanks,

Mark
  • global_mapperglobal_mapper Administrator Posts: 17,238
    edited September 2012
    Mark,

There isn't currently support for querying different types of vector data for a path profile. You can great grid layers from whatever combination of vector layers that you want by selecting them in the Control Center, then right-clicking and selecting to create an elevation grid, then create a profile from that. You could turn different grid layers on and off before creating the profiles to see the profile created from different data.

Thanks,

Mike
    Global Mapper Guru
    gmsupport@bluemarblegeo.com
    http://www.globalmapper.com
  • pwave1pwave1 Global Mapper User Posts: 10
    edited September 2012
    Mike,

That sounds doable. I appreciate your advice.

Cheers,

Mark