Global Mapper v25.0

Unhandled exception error in v13

Modi Thorson
Modi Thorson Global Mapper User
edited August 2012 in Bug Report
Hello,

Every time I attempt to combine line features in one particular map that I am working on, I receive the following error:

Global Mapper
Unhandled exception processing command message.
VectorOverlay.cpp - 243
Version: v13.2.2 (32-bit)
Build Time: Jun 26 2012 02:14:14
Use Ctrl+V to Paste Error
OK

or occasionally the following instead:

Global Mapper
Unhandled exception processing command message.
UTL_MBString.cpp - 410
Version: v13.2.2 (32-bit)
Build Time: Jun 26 2012 02:14:14
Use Ctrl+V to Paste Error
OK

This happens every attempt after a short period of loading, but only with one particular map - a somewhat large
map, but nothing more detailed than other maps that I have made using Global Mapper. The .gmw is about 334 MB. The first error is much more common - I haven't yet been able to reproduce the second. I was having memory issues earlier, but have since cleaned up my memory and Global Mapper seems to have enough memory. Could these still be related?

Thanks,
Jacob

Comments

• global_mapper
    global_mapper Administrator
    edited August 2012
    Jacob,

The second error is basically an "out of memory" error. The first one I haven't seen before, but should be able to fix it easily if I can reproduce. Is there any way you can send me your data? You can FTP it to ftp.globalmapper.com with a username of 'upload@globalmapper.com' and a password of 'upload'.

Thanks,

Mike
    Global Mapper Guru
    gmsupport@bluemarblegeo.com
    http://www.globalmapper.com
  • Modi Thorson
    edited August 2012
    Hello,

I've tried a few more things, including using other computers. Out of memory errors persist and I haven't been able to reproduce the error in the VectorOverlay source except on my own computer; I also cannot get the map as it is because the errors did not start until recently and I don't have enough free memory to save. I feel like all of these errors are related to memory issues, so I will end up just dividing the map into smaller pieces, given that it was massive in any case.

Thanks for your help, though.

Jacob
  • global_mapper
    edited August 2012
    Jacob,

If at all possible I would definitely recommend using the 64-bit version of Global Mapper as it can use much more memory than the 32-bit version can. Of course you need to have 64-bit Windows to do this.

Thanks,

Mike
    Global Mapper Guru
  • Modi Thorson
    edited August 2012
    Hello,

I've finally figured out where my errors are coming from. This is largely my own fault for not paying attention and cleaning up my attributes, but I had a large number of line features that were not ultimately meant to be a part of my map. These features had inherited an attribute from the polygon that I used to make them, and when combined, would share that value with one another, resulting in larger and larger attribute values, ultimately reaching something like 7 million characters for a single attribute. This apparently bypasses the normal character limit.

I know this one was my fault, but I would like to make a suggestion for future editions that something be done about this bypass, even if just a warning is given, etc. to foolproof the design against people like myself who may be caught unaware.

Thanks for your input, I greatly appreciate the willingness of the Global Mapper team to listen to user input and provide feedback.
    --Jacob
  • global_mapper
    edited August 2012
    Jacob,

Ah thanks for the explanation! I have put a limit of 1 million characters when combining feature attribute lists, which should put a stop to absolutely ridiculous lengths before you run out of memory. Let me know if you want a new build with this change, otherwise it will show up in all future builds.

Thanks,

Mike
    Global Mapper Guru