Global Mapper v25.0

Problem loading DGN file using SDK

BurroWrangler
BurroWrangler Global Mapper UserTrusted User
edited March 2012 in SDK
Hi Mike,

I have been trying to load a DGN file using GM_LoadLayerList and I get an error message. Here is what I'm trying to do:

GM_Error_t32 err(GM_LoadLayerList("C:\temp\test.dgn", &hHandle, &nLayers, 0));

When I call this function, the following error message pops up:

Error loading DGN file C:\temp\TEST.dgn
Unable to load DGN file.
DGNOverlay.cpp - 2185
Version: v1.38
Build Time: Jan 19 2012 10:39:04

An error code 3 (GM_Error_LoadError) is returned. I can read the dgn file without any problems in Global Mapper 13 (Oct 17 2011 build date). Any idea how I can get around this problem? I can send you the file if needed.

Thanks,

Chris

Comments

• global_mapper
    global_mapper Administrator
    edited March 2012
    Chris,

This is almost certainly due to the DGN before a DGN v8 or later file. Support for those DGN files is only possible through a 3rd-party library from opendesign.com that we use in Global Mapper, but cannot sub-license in the SDK, so those files can't load in the SDK. We might be able to do a special build of the SDK with that support enabled if you obtain your own license to that library from opendesign.com and provide evidence of that.

Otherwise you would have to convert the file to something else with Global Mapper itself (or some other application) then you could load with the SDK.

Let me know if I can be of further assistance.

Thanks,

Mike
  • BurroWrangler
    BurroWrangler Global Mapper User Trusted User
    edited March 2012
    Mike,

I will try converting and let you know how things go. I think we probably have a license to opendesign.com, but it might be more trouble than what it's worth to us.

Thanks,

Chris
  • BurroWrangler
    edited March 2012
    Mike,

What would it take for you to make a special build that reads .dwg and .dgn files? Would this special build be updated every time you release a new version of the library? How would you check to make sure our license to opendesign.com remains up-to-date? These are the main issues I am trying to figure out. We currently have a license to the Teigha (opendesign.com) library, but we have had trouble keeping our support updated to support the latest versions and it would be nice if we could just display an image showing the dwg or dgn file in the background.

Thanks,

Chris
  • global_mapper
    edited March 2012
    Chris,

It wouldn't be particularly hard for us to make a build including the DGN/DWG support. As we statically link in the OpenDesign Teigha libraries for DGN/DWG support we would probably just link them into the standard SDK build, then provide a special way to unlock those based on your license. We are just about to release a new SDK v13.1.3 (note the version will now be sync'd with the Global Mapper application) with new XML-based licensing. Once we verified that you do indeed have an up-to-date Teigha license (at least as of now, hard to enforce it beyond that, at least for a particular version of the SDK) we could enable the DGN/DWG read support when your license file is detected.

Thanks,

Mike
  • BurroWrangler
    edited March 2012
    Mike,

I will send you an email with the invoice we received from opendesign.com last year. We are checking with opendesign.com to see what their policy is for using the Teigha libraries in an SDK and will let you know what they tell us.

Chris
  • global_mapper
    edited March 2012
    Chris,

I think we would probably need the receipt and not the invoice, but other than that it should be fine. We have come up with a way to embed some extra flags in our new signed XML license files for the SDK v13.1 that would allow us to then enable the Teigha libraries just for your licenses.

Thanks,

Mike