point cloud export Cartesian options?

SMcQSMcQ Global Mapper UserPosts: 24
edited January 2012 in Technical Support
I'm looking for a way to export small point clouds from GM13 so I can make a stereo 3D movie of them in other software.

Thought I had a workflow with MeshLab as an intermediate, but MeshLab cannot display the GM13 xyz export. It opens it, then nothing. I think the issue is that it cannot read xyz in geospatial coordinates.

Is there a way to fake xyz Cartesian coordinates for a point cloud export?

I thought that KMZ would be an alternate route, but Google Earth assigns cubes to represent the points, and very large cubes at that. I cannot find any way to specify spheres at a very small size, not in Google Earth and not in the GM13 vector export dialog.

Here is a pine tree in GM13 3D view:
GM13 point cloud tree.png

And here is how that same point cloud looks in Google Earth:
GoogleEarthPointCloudTree.png

SMcQ

Comments

• global_mapperglobal_mapper Administrator Posts: 17,238
    edited January 2012
    What projection are you using when you export the XYZ file? You will want to make sure to have a gridded projection, like UTM, setup on the Projection tab of the Configuration dialog before exporting the XYZ vector file (really CSV or Simple ASCII Text File) so the X and Y units are compatible with the elevation units.

Thanks,

Mike
    Global Mapper Guru
    gmsupport@bluemarblegeo.com
    http://www.globalmapper.com
  • SMcQSMcQ Global Mapper User Posts: 24
    edited January 2012
    Yes, exporting UTM 10, NAD83. Will have to take a closer look at the ASCII file.

The free Sketchup has a free plugin, Cloud, that will import point clouds in CSV format. I'm making a stereo 3D movie, a one minute guide to how LiDAR works, and I need a small patch of point clouds of pine trees for a flyby with a stereo camera rig.

Would it be possible in GM13 to set how Google Earth shows the points? I'm assuming the cube primitives are the default setting, and that alternate settings can somehow be designated in the KMZ file that Global Mapper exports, or in Google Earth itself. Have not found that option, however.
  • global_mapperglobal_mapper Administrator Posts: 17,238
    edited January 2012
    It would be great to get a point cloud into Google Earth, but I'm not sure if there is a way to make those point symbols smaller. They should already be a single pixel PNG file floating in space, but they are being blown up by Google Earth. Can you send me a sample of what you are generating and I can poke around and see if there is a way to shrink those down?

Thanks,

Mike
    Global Mapper Guru
    gmsupport@bluemarblegeo.com
    http://www.globalmapper.com