LiDAR not showing overlay in 3D View

SMcQSMcQ Global Mapper UserPosts: 24
edited January 2012 in Technical Support
Mike,

The fix for making and retrieving a map catalog from gz compressed las files is working well, but I'm having another problem that I don't think is related, as the issue can be reproduced with uncompressed las files.

TERCandPrim.png

The attached image was created in Quick Terrain Modeler, trial version, and I cannot reproduce it in Global Mapper 13. In the 3D view, only the shader appears instead of the overlay, and in the main view the overlay is blended with the shader instead of showing its own colors.

I've tried everything I can think of to turn off the shader so only the the overlay will appear, and to make the 3D view show the overlay. Nothing has worked. If I apply a custom shader that is all black, that cures the blending problem, but then nothing can be seen in the 3D view, which shows only black.

I remember the above render was pretty easy to make, no fuss. The overlay colors just appeared as they should on the point cloud. It would be very helpful to my project if that functionality were fixed in GM13!

SMcQ

Comments

• global_mapperglobal_mapper Administrator Posts: 17,238
    edited January 2012
    Can you provide the file so that I can take a look? The 3D view should show the colors from the LAS file. There were some issues with that in some builds so you might also try getting the latest build to see if that makes a difference. I have placed a new build at http://www.globalmapper.com/global_mapper13.zip with the change for you to try. Simply download that file and extract the contents into your existing v13.xx installation folder to give it a try. If you are using the 64-bit version try http://www.globalmapper.com/global_mapper13_64bit.zip .

Thanks,

Mike
  • SMcQSMcQ Global Mapper User Posts: 24
    edited January 2012
    The latest build made no difference. This is what I'm seeing.

GM13_overlay_issue.png

The Atlas Shader is merging with the overlay colors, and the 3D view shows only the Atlas Shader colors. Same with all the shaders. The stack is in the correct order, with the overlay below the LiDAR in the Control Center layer list.

ControlCenter.png

I can't see how it can be a problem with a particular file because all Tahoe LiDAR files are doing this. But I'll send the files above via separate mail.

SMcQ
    edited January 2012
    There is another issue that may be related. When I split into layers from LiDAR classifications, everything is black. Not even the shader colors show up in either the main window or the 3D view window, and not the overlay, either.

I do have the latest driver for my Radeon 5570, which does OpenGl very speedily with GM13.

SMcQ
  • global_mapperglobal_mapper Administrator Posts: 17,238
    edited January 2012
    I think what you want to do is create an elevation grid and not a point cloud when you load your LAS file. That way the TIFF imagery will drape on top of that. If you also want the point cloud in space, load the LAS file separately as a point cloud, that way you can have both the gridded surface with the image draped on top as well as the point cloud in space.

Let me know if I can be of further assistance.

Thanks,

Mike
    Global Mapper Guru
    gmsupport@bluemarblegeo.com
    http://www.globalmapper.com
    edited January 2012
    Mike,

That's exactly what I'm seeking -- both points and surface together. Want to use a ground-only surface with point cloud trees. Looks very convincing.

I didn't realize that there was an export/import step required to get the points to show the overlay colors. My workflow learning curve with LiDAR point clouds was with Quick Terrain Modeler, which took the colors immediately, but the trial license expired.

Have done mostly surfaces with Global Mapper, works very nicely. Now attempting to have both, so I have to get used to how GM13 does things with point clouds.

Thanks.

SMcQ