Tree heights for visual modeling

Jordan DyckJordan Dyck Global Mapper UserPosts: 2
edited January 2012 in Technical Support
Hi

I work for a forestry company, and I would like to use Global Mapper as a tool for visual modeling. Many people are concerned about the aesthetic affect of logging and it would be a useful tool to be able to show what the harvesting will look like once it is completed.

Is there a way to display trees heights on the 3D tool?

I've been using the "walk mode" feature of the 3D tool to take screen shots of the landscape. Is there a way to take a "video" of what it will look like if someone were to be walking in the area?

Any other suggestions about how I can use Global mapper for this purpose would be great. I've used other GIS software in the past but am new to Global mapper.

Thanks

Comments

• global_mapperglobal_mapper Administrator Posts: 17,238
    edited January 2012
    It you have 3D vector features describing the trees you can show that in the 3D view, but there really isn't a way to populate a terrain with pre-rendered trees of a particular height in Global Mapper.

Thanks,

Mike
    Global Mapper Guru
    gmsupport@bluemarblegeo.com
    http://www.globalmapper.com
  • Jordan DyckJordan Dyck Global Mapper User Posts: 2
    edited January 2012
    I have a "canopy height model" generated from lidar data. I uploaded it yesterday as a DEM. It works pretty good. When I viewed that layer alone in the 3D screen, it made the terrain flat, and I could easily pick out where existing roads were because there was ne "tree" or canopy height model for the linear disturbance. I combined the canopy height model with the ASTER data to allow me to see both the tree heights as well as the topography. The only issue now is that where ever there was a linear disturbacne (road), it has now created a ridge just as high as the "tree" tops. Is there a way I can put roads back down to ground level? Also wondering if there is a way can remove the canopy height model within where our cutblocks will be.

Hopefully this makes sense. I can send you a screen shot if it makes it more clear.

Jordan
  • global_mapperglobal_mapper Administrator Posts: 17,238
    edited January 2012
    Jordan,

Do your roads have height values are well? I do think a screenshot would help in this case.

Thanks,

Mike
    Global Mapper Guru
    gmsupport@bluemarblegeo.com
    http://www.globalmapper.com