Global Mapper To Do List

PaulTocknellPaulTocknell Forum AdministratorPosts: 307
edited January 2015 in Announcement and News
One of the greatest things about Global Mapper Forum is the ability to help contribute to the next version of Global Mapper. Users are constantly requesting and receiving new features sometimes on a daily basis. There is truly no software support like the one found with Global Mapper.

Occasionally, the request is sometime that will require a more concerted effort from Mike and the Global Mapper team. When that happens, a user is told that the request is valid and that features has been added to the "To Do" list. Haven't you always wondered what current "To Do" list is?

Well, Mike was gracious enough to share with me the "To Do" list and agreed that I could share it with the community. So here it is the famous Global Mapper To Do List:
  • WFS Import
  • Direct DB Connectivity - PostGIS, Oracle, etc.
  • Built-in Online Land Cover and Roughness Grid Sources (i.e. CORINE)
  • New Import Formats - LASzip, GeoJSON, LandXML, LogASCII, Petrel
  • New Export Formats - LASzip, Adobe Illustrator (.ai), Garmin JNX, ASRP, CADRG, NetCDF, SOSI
  • Analysis Features - HAAT Analysis, More Hydrological/Flood Analysis
  • More Advanced Attribute Query/Combine Operations
What do you think? From these features what you like to see most? Are there features listed that would be more helpful that other?

Let us know in the comments below.

Comments

• global_mapperglobal_mapper Administrator Posts: 17,238
    edited December 2011
    Just thought I'd note that is a very tiny subset of the complete todo list. Those are some of the more significant things on the todo list and more general-direction type of features rather than all of the minutia.

Thanks,

Mike
    Global Mapper Guru
    gmsupport@bluemarblegeo.com
    http://www.globalmapper.com
  • EDGAREDGAR Global Mapper User Posts: 77Trusted User
    edited December 2011
    Hi Paul,
    TKS for this post. Most probably GM Users would like to know what they could expect from further GM releases.
    If that could be possible to do, I would like to see a VOTE list on which Users coud mark their preferencies checking particular positions/themes, so Mike could see directly what is of most Users' concern by now. Also Users should be able to add their suggestions to the list too.
    As for me pos. 1 (WMS Import) and pos. 6 (More Hydrological /Flood Analysis are most important by now.
    BRGDS
    Edgar
  • liz1110liz1110 Global Mapper User Posts: 5
    edited December 2011
    I'm thrilled to see that export to Adobe Illustrator format has been added to the "To Do" list. This will give me a new option for transferring my data from the GIS environment to the graphic design environment so I can make it "pretty."
    edited December 2011
    LIZ1110 - :-))
    It's been quite a time since I've published on the Forum my own WorkFlowDiagram... with GlobalMapper as a Core and Corel and PS as finishing tools. You can find it here: http://www.globalmapper.com.pl/workflowdiagram.html
    Also, the requirements for making "bridges" linking GIS<>Graphic Soft appear to became common.
    Definetly thanks to MIKE favour we already GOT that ability with GlobalMapper - since he created an option - "Export Raster into GeoTIF in scale and in resolution" With use of that option one can create a BASE map in SCALE and import it into ANY grapic soft (I work with Corel). NEXT - just create a frame over the map and georeference it with GlobalMapper. Since that moment - using that georeferenced frame (a vector) You can easily transfer from<>to GlobalMapper<>Corel / or Illustrator ANY vector and any raster. I'm sure that GlobalMapper will surpise any new user as well as it surprises me all the time when I discover it's new option (a one never checked before). If You need more explenations ref. to "transfer frame" call me. BRGDS - Edgar (www.globalmapper.com.pl)
    PS. The result of what I described above You can see here:
    http://zoom.it/p0io#full
    edited December 2011
    LIZ1110 -
    I forgot to say below:
    "...NEXT - just create a frame, save it as DXF file and georeference...."

I've found that this unique format (DXF) works perfect both with GlobalMapper and my Corel.
    So, use it as an export/import format for transfering vector files both ways GlobalMapper<>Corel...
    You will need to adjust styles, but entire transfer is carthometric and resulting maps are GPS perfectly compatybile.
    Ed
    edited December 2011
    PLS find a direct link to "My WorkFlowDiagram" - ready to download
    http://www.globalmapperforum.com/downloads.html?did=42
    Ed
    edited December 2011
    Note also that a lot of users export to PDF from Global Mapper and then pull that into something like Avenza's MapPublisher in Adobe Illustrator to finish it. That seems to work very well and you get both raster and vector features in PDF unlike in GeoTIFF. However, having direct Adobe Illustrator support should be even better than PDF for getting into Illustrator.

Thanks,

Mike
    Global Mapper Guru
    edited December 2011
    Mike,
    Thank You for that additional note. However this doesn't work with Corel. If so, one have to deal with constant upgrading not only to new GlobalMapper release, but with all the rest softwares involved in map creation. The only reasonable way to quick transfer of vectors (lets say a new tracks and waypoints) is to find appropriate vector format used with both end softwares. So far for Corel just DXF and DWG works fine without splitting vectors into segments, and this procedure works in both ways. RGDS - Ed
    edited December 2011
    Also neither Corel nor Illustrator (as far as I know ref. to the second one) are carthometric ones. Therefore one have to develop/invent his own procedures how to deal with data without loosing their carthometry. RGDS - Ed
    edited December 2011
    I believe that using an add-on to Illustrator, like MapPublisher, you can keep your cartographic stuff in Illustrator. I'm not too familiar with the products myself though, that's just what I hear from other users.

Thanks,

Mike
    Global Mapper Guru
  • RecceRecce Global Mapper User Posts: 178Trusted User
    edited January 2012
    I am very happy to see that CADRG and JNX is on the export "to do list"!

/Thomas
  • redbeardredbeard Global Mapper User Posts: 279Trusted User
    edited January 2012
    I like this list. I'm happy to see direct database support on there. The analysis functions are nice, and I'll probably need them eventually.
    I'm sure we could all add something to the list. I know I have a few ideas myself.
    Now is this list for v13 or 14?
    edited January 2012
    Some of those features will show up in v13.x and most others in v14.x. Some of the more open ended ones (like more analysis functions) aren't just one feature of course and will continue to be areas of new development indefinitely.

Thanks,

Mike
    Global Mapper Guru
  • JamesRutterJamesRutter Global Mapper User Posts: 96Trusted User
    edited January 2012
    Mike...PostGIS support...superb!

Don't suppose direct AI support will be available soon will it (like next week LOL!!) We're just about to embark on putting together our main local gov planning zoning map and have found that using Global mapper to package all our vector and raster data together into a PDF and then importing in to Illustrator is VERY effective...meaning we don't have to use Avenza MapPublisher..which is too expensive and frankly unnecessary if you can get all your vectors into AI all lined up in the first instance. So...direct AI support would be even better.

Cheers

James
    edited January 2012
    James,

Sorry, direct AI support is a big enough feature that we would hold it off for a major release (like v14). No one has even started looking at that.

Thanks,

Mike
    Global Mapper Guru
  • tjhbtjhb Global Mapper User Posts: 452Trusted User
    edited January 2012
    It will be very interesting to see how relations (structural and otherwise) between Avenza and Blue Marble play out over the next year or so.

Avenza's MAPublisher (providing direct, extensive geographic functionality within Illustrator) and Geographic Imager (providing direct geographic support inside Photoshop) are both built upon Blue Marble's geographic projection and transformation engine (including some very nice GUI), used under licence.

For Blue Marble, through its new acquisition, Global Mapper, to enter into direct competition with Avenza in the Illustrator and/or Photoshop market might be awkward.

However Global Mapper may develop under Blue Marble control (which so far seems very light-handed), it seems likely that Avenza will retain an exclusive position in its functionality within Illustrator and Photoshop.

For many users, the initial reason to purchase MAPublisher or Geographic Imager is the need to get geographic data into (and out of) the Adobe environment. A future Global Mapper may provide a more or less complete alternative for those users. Avenza currently allows complete round-tripping of geographic data, from geographic formats to Illustrator and Photoshop formats, and back. For some, the ability to access GIS attribute tables within Illustrator—using them to drive graphic styles, for example—would remain a sufficient reason to invest in MAPublisher. But maybe we will see realignments.
    edited January 2012
    I would like just to say that there is also a wide circle of Corel DRAW users who are finishing maps with that soft, and they would be happy too for some additional export-import formats helping them to arrange an effective Work-Flow. TKS Ed
  • SeldomSeldom Global Mapper User Posts: 46Trusted User
    edited January 2012
    TJHB makes sense until one considers that Map Publisher's minimum installation costs about 4 times the price of GM. Maybe Blue Marble has another strategy in mind, one that involves a lower cost general purpose mapping product that a wider audience can afford.
  • JamesRutterJamesRutter Global Mapper User Posts: 96Trusted User
    edited January 2012
    Only a personal opinion (having used and got rid of Avenza Map publisher a few years ago)....but I can't really see the point of it any more. If I can get raster and vector data into Illustrator...all wrapped up nicely in a PDF doc (which I can at the moment using GM)...Avenza Map Publisher becomes pointless. For our requirements, I've no need to get GIS data back out of Illustrator as Illustrator is at the end of the workflow..producing finished cartography.
    The only slight sticking point comes if a user wants a big amendment to a vector feature that would be easier to digitize in a GIS system instead of drawing in Illustrator...with the one off big bang approach of GM - PDF - Illustrator import, you're a bit stuffed if you need to get additional vector data in.

James
    edited January 2012
    JAMESRUTTER, Hi

What You said abt Illustrator (being the end of workflow producing finished cartography) refers too to Corel based map finishing.
    And there is also a quite simple solution to constantly add more and more vectors to the finishing soft (Ill, Cor.) by means of Transfering Frames. As far as one got a base raster map well positioned in (Ill., Cor.) he needs just to create a vector frame over the raster and within his working area - let say A1, A2 or so. That frame has to be exported back to GlobalMapper and georeferenced. Since that time You got in GM a geo-frame of Your map being finishing in Ill / Cor. But just for that purpose we do need a single filetype accepted on both ends. I use DXF so far.
    Any time a new vector comes to play - it has to be exported TOGETHER with that frame and imported to Ill./Cor, and positioned over the source frame created before. With that procedure You will not loose carthometry and You are able to add as many new vectors and points as You wish till the map is finished. RGDS Edgar
  • cloudjcloudj Global Mapper User Posts: 9
    edited January 2012
    WFS, PostGIS, ai :D
  • cloudjcloudj Global Mapper User Posts: 9
    edited January 2012
    For AI, it would be even better if GM's exports worked with Mapublisher for Illustrator, but even without support for Mapublisher you could at least just add a projection to the data after it's in AI
  • John RatseyJohn Ratsey Global Mapper User Posts: 5
    edited January 2012
    Given GM's excellent capabilities for importing, displaying and exporting DEMs, I would like some DEM editing tools. Perhaps nothing too scientific but the digital equivalent of sandpaper and filler to enable quick fixing of obvious errors (eg take out a hump caused by a clump of trees).
  • KyudosKyudos Global Mapper User Posts: 12Trusted User
    edited January 2012
    WFS would be top of my list :)
  • tjhbtjhb Global Mapper User Posts: 452Trusted User
    edited February 2012
    The only slight sticking point [...] you're a bit stuffed if you need to get additional vector data in.

Not really, even without MAPublisher, if you start the GIS-to-Illustrator workflow with a bounding box to represent the Illustrator artboard—the same proportions, at output scale—and maintain this relationship throughout the project. (If one changes, the other should be scaled or shifted proportionately.)

To get GIS data ready for import, at any stage, so that it will be correctly positioned, you can just add a copy of the bounding box to the GIS data. For area objects, you'd add the area, for line objects its boundary line, and for point objects its four corner points. Now this can go out to DXF or another vector format which Illustrator can read. (MAPublisher of course allows you to go via SHP and other geographic formats as well.)

When vector data is placed into Illustrator, it is automatically positioned and scaled so that it (i.e. its whole extent) fits the artboard. In this workflow that also means that the data is correctly georegistered.

If for some reason the data does not immediately fit the artboard, or if you need to re-register it later to a different artboard, it only takes two clicks to sort this out, using the Alignment panel with the option Align to artboard enabled (rather than Align to selection, which is the default).
  • kentmankentman Global Mapper User Posts: 149Trusted User
    edited February 2012
    I've mentioned before about versioning and the fact that there is not a single thread that list all the minor changes or patches. Most applications will publish these so that they are readily accessible. The 'Check for updates' option on the help menu only checks for major versions so never reports the minor updates. I do feel this would be little effort as the links are posted within individual posts anyway.
    Keeping up with (or even finding) new updates, however minor, is a hit-and-miss affair at the best of times so my plea is: please formalize this part of GM app management before adding functionality that may be rarely used by some GM'ers!

I'm not having a go as GM is still one of the, if not THE best, GIS around but now with the resources available from BMG it should be possible.
    edited February 2012
    The normal course of action for most users would just be to upgrade whenever there is an official release (one is coming very soon I promise) and then all of the changes that have been made will be listed in a formal Release Notes. I have just avoided a formal place to list all of the builds (there are typically several a day) just to avoid adding even more work to what I have to do whenever I do a new build, especially for features that are in transition and could be actively changing. I try to fly through these things so fast that adding even a few minutes to the normal update task will feel like running through molasses :) In the future the minor official releases will likely be more frequent, this first one since the BMG acquisition is just slower as the release process is adapted to BMG. Now that GM and BMG are fully merged things should be smoother going forward.

Thanks,

Mike
    Global Mapper Guru
  • elf@isd.seelf@isd.se Global Mapper User Posts: 2
    edited March 2012
    Hi!

Is there an approximate time for making the CADRG-export available?

Thanks!!

/Lennart
    edited March 2012
    Lennart,

No official estimate, perhaps later this year.

Thanks,

Mike
    Global Mapper Guru
  • redbeardredbeard Global Mapper User Posts: 279Trusted User
    edited March 2012
    I'll throw in my vote for postgis support. They did just release v2 alpha - which has some newer features and stuff. I just like the idea of storing all my data in a database like that. For v14 or something a nice UI for managing postgis databases would be even more awesome (like a really easy way to create and manage databases - kind of like arcCatalog).