Global Mapper v25.0

Digitizer Tool

946 Global Mapper UserTrusted User
edited July 2012 in Suggestion Box
Hi Mike,

Would it be possible to add a new function that allows users to create multiple segments line in the path profile window?
I would like to be able to create and export Z polylines that are not reflecting the surface used for path profile .

Thanks,
Remi

Comments

• global_mapper
    global_mapper Administrator
    edited December 2011
    Remi,

Actually you can already do that. Just select the 3D polyline with the Digitizer Tool, then right-click and select to show a 3D path profile for the line. You should see both the path from the terrain and the location of the 3D polyline in the path profile dialog.

Let me know if I can be of further assistance.

Thanks,

Mike
    Global Mapper Guru
    gmsupport@bluemarblegeo.com
    http://www.globalmapper.com
    946 Global Mapper User Trusted User
    edited December 2011
    Mike,
    What I m trying to say is that I would like to be able to create a 3d polyline in the path profile window and after export it.
    Something like in the attached picture:
    Capture.JPG

thanks
  • global_mapper
    edited December 2011
    Ah I see, I will add this to the todo list.

Thanks,

Mike
    Global Mapper Guru
    edited July 2012
    Hi Mike,

Until this tool is going to be added I ll post here for something similar.
    It would be possible to change the path/profile window in order to show the location of the points created with "Create Point Feature At Cursor Location"?
    For now I am using this to create points in the path profile window and after I am creating a line from them but sometimes is not easy to "remember" the last location of the last point created(x/y/z so the 2d window is not helping).
    I ll explain what I have to do , maybe you have another solution or ideea.

I have dsm data as elevation and I have to create lines acording to some predefined coridors.
    The line it will have z values in this way for ex. :
    2 meters above small buildings (2-10m) , 3 meters above bigger buildings (10-20m) 4 meters......etc.
    the same line when crossing a main road has to be 4 meters under and so on for different elements from the dsm.

Thanks,
    Remi
  • global_mapper
    edited July 2012
    Remi,

Are your separate terrain elements in separate layers? If so you could run a CALC ATTR operation on those layers from the Control Center and adjust the Z/Elevation attributes for the features in that layer to adjust the height to what you will need the line to be, then create a terrain layer from the adjusted elevation values, then assign the elevations from that terrain layer to the line path to get a 3D line with the heights that you need.

Let me know if I can be of further assistance.

Thanks,

Mike
    Global Mapper Guru
    edited July 2012
    Mike,

My final result is just a 3d line with the elevations based on +/- x meters according to the elements of the dsm .I have just the dsm as base info, and the ideea is not to have different classes or layers for buildings / trees/water/pols...etc.
    I was trying more softwares but GM is more close to this by haveing the option to work inside profile window.(create point at cursor loacation tool).
    What I was needing is a tool like "drow in to profile" and I saw that the main softwares on the market don t have something similar.
    Terrascan has but is not working like it should.And support............you have to go to Finland.

I also tryed to "alter elevation values" but because the lines that I have to create don t respect specific elements from the dsm, I was not able to use it.

Also the dsm is 0.5 m and the line created has to have at least 3 points/meter

Thanks ,
    Remi
  • global_mapper
    edited July 2012
    Remi,

The request to draw right on the path profile is in our internal system as task 9105. I just bumped up the priority of it.

In the meantime, do you have polygons or something for the different types of buildings or anything like that? If you could create a new terrain layer from those with just the +/- elevations to use for the line from them, then select all of those layers in the Control Center and right-click then select to generate an elevation grid from the data. Select to make the heights relative to ground, which should then give you a new terrain layer that is the base DSM plus the heights to use from the building. You can then create a line with points at whatever interval you need on it and assign elevations from that new terrain layer that is the merger of the DSM and the building/surface polygons.

Thanks,

Mike
    Global Mapper Guru
    edited July 2012
    thanks Mike ,

You should change from GM GURU to GM GUGU as in GM Gifted Unlimited GIS Universal!!
    All that you said for sure is going to help alot of GM users, for sure also until task 9105 I will finish my project , but in the end is allways a plaesure to interact with you!
    thank you alot !

Remi