Global Mapper v25.0

Creating a mean elevation map

Lalo Guerrero
Lalo Guerrero Global Mapper User
edited November 2011 in Technical Support
Hello,

I am trying to create a mean elevation map using SRTM data. Is it possible to do this with GM?

I'm working on identifying whether this area of apparent high topography actually is high compared to the areas
around it.

There are a couple of ways that I was thinking of approaching this:

1. contour map showing mean elevations for the DEM.

2. not do a map, but do a 100km wide swath-profile to determine the mean elevation of that swath.

thank you!

Comments

• global_mapper
    global_mapper Administrator
    edited November 2011
    What exactly are you trying to get out of the SRTM data? You can already generate contours with the File->Generate Contours menu command. If you want the mean elevation over an area, simply draw (or load) the area, then select it with the Digitizer Tool, then right-click and select to calculate elevation stats for the area to see things like the mean elevation.

Let me know if I can be of further assistance.

Thanks,

Mike
    Global Mapper Support
    support@globalmapper.com
  • Lalo Guerrero
    Lalo Guerrero Global Mapper User
    edited November 2011
    Mike,

Thank you for your reply.

The contour option makes sense, that that is the first part of what I'm trying to accomplish. I am trying to see
    what the mean elevation over an area to determine whether there is a topographic high that dominates the area.

The second part of what I'm trying to accomplish is to do swath profiles of the same area to measure min. and
    max elevations, as well as show mean elevation of the swath in profile.

This is all for topographic analysis that I'm trying to do of the Yellowstone area.

thanks!

-Eduardo
  • global_mapper
    global_mapper Administrator
    edited November 2011
    Eduardo,

If you have your swaths of interest as area features, just select them with the Digitizer Tool, then right-click and select to add the elevation statistics to the areas. Then you can examine them and check the mean elevation against the min and max and see if perhaps there is some dominant feature.

Let me know if I can be of further assistance.

Thanks,

Mike
    Global Mapper Support
    gmsupport@bluemarblegeo.com