Global Mapper v25.0

what is the export directory & file nameing rule?

grchen168
grchen168 Global Mapper User
edited October 2011 in Elevation Data
Dear Sirs,
I am wondering where can I find the spec for the exported directory & file nameing (using your GlobalMapper V13)?

I just got a bunch of export dirs & files:
[dirname] L17 +
|
+ [dir_name] 108571 +
|
+ [file_name] 74679.png
[file_name] 74680.png

What does they mean?
BTW, how can I import the above files into Vexcel VE server (using Vexcel's RasterTileing tool, for example)?

Hope to hear from you soon.

Regards,
grchen168

Comments

• global_mapper
    global_mapper Administrator
    edited October 2011
    Which format option did you choose when exporting? Any type of export scheme should be according to whatever tiling mechanism that you selected.

I'm not familiar with the Vexcel VE server, what type of tiling scheme does it normally support? Does VE mean "Virtual Earth", which is now Bing Maps?

Thanks,

Mike
    Global Mapper Support
    support@globalmapper.com
  • grchen168
    edited October 2011
    Thank you for your instant reply.

(1) WGS84

(2) Yes, "VE" mean Virtual Earth, and now it is BingMaps.
  • global_mapper
    edited October 2011
    Are you using the File->Export Web Formats menu command to do the export, and if so which format are you choosing? That is what determines the tiling scheme. I would guess this with the Bing Maps (Virtual Earth) tiling scheme would get into Vexcel VE server most easily, but I'm not familiar with that product.

Thanks,

Mike
    Global Mapper Support
    support@globalmapper.com
  • grchen168
    edited October 2011
    Hi, Mike,
    Sorry for one thing:
    The mentioned tool shoud be MapTiler, not GlobalMapper !!
  • grchen168
    edited October 2011
    And, Mike,
    How can I achieve the same effect like MapTiler, by using your GlobalMapper?
    And, using GlobalMapper, can I acheive generating tiles for BingMap (or VirtualEarth)?

Thanks.
  • global_mapper
    edited October 2011
    We can't really provide support for MapTiler, but in Global Mapper you can load your data, then use the File->Export Web Formats menu command and export to Bing Maps tiles.

Let me know if I can be of further assistance.

Thanks,

Mike
    Global Mapper Support
    support@globalmapper.com
  • grchen168
    edited October 2011
    Dear Mike,
    Thank you for your info.
    I had one more problem while exporting BingMap tiles using your GM13:
    the exported BingMap tiles are all within one single directory. (the tile's filename is the quadkey)
    but , on Windows OS (especially Win2003 and/or Win2008), there is a max limit of files under one directory.
    how can I get around with the BingMap tile exporting under such OS directory limitation?

Thank you~
  • global_mapper
    edited October 2011
    The Bing Maps filename definition expects a single folder for each zoom level. You could instead use the Google Maps, OSM, or TMS tiled exports which have a separate folder for each row within a zoom level, which prevents have a ton of files in the same folder at high zoom levels for large maps.

Thanks,

Mike
    Global Mapper Support
    support@globalmapper.com