Global Mapper v25.0

Export OSM but ignore Blank tiles need help

whitedragon
whitedragon Global Mapper User
edited October 2011 in Technical Support
Hi mike,

I am try to output a QCT file as OSM webformat and would like it to ignore BLANK TILES in my case white.

How does globalmapper determine a blank tile because every attempt i have made outputs an OSM folder with White tiles.I am manualy deleting and this is very time consuming.

Background color is currently set at 255,255,255

Please help.

Comments

• global_mapper
    global_mapper Administrator
    edited October 2011
    The blank tiles would be any that don't intersect any of the loaded data sets, so if your QCT is not a full rectangle you could have tiles that are all in transparent areas of the QCT that wouldn't look like blank tiles, but would end up as all transparent pixels so they shouldn't show up.

Thanks,

Mike
    Global Mapper Support
    support@globalmapper.com
  • whitedragon
    edited October 2011
    Hum the qct is rectangluar and i have set the transparent color to 255,255,255

But i am still getting loads of white tile when i output as osm.

Am i missing somthing or doing somthing wrong.
  • global_mapper
    edited October 2011
    Are the white tiles outside of the coverage of your QCT file or inside it but in a white area that you had set as transparent? Perhaps a screen shot would help?

Thanks,

Mike
    Global Mapper Support
    support@globalmapper.com
  • whitedragon
    edited October 2011
    They are inside the qct but i have set the white area as transparent.
  • global_mapper
    edited October 2011
    They would not be considered empty tiles if they intersect the QCT area, but if all of the pixels were set to transparent then they would end up as completely see-through if you used PNG as the format. Are you generating PNG or JPG tiles?

Thanks,

Mike
    Global Mapper Support
    support@globalmapper.com
  • whitedragon
    edited October 2011
    i am generating a jpeg version. Would it be possible to add the ability to remove the blank tiles that are within the qct area.

Checking a jpeg or png tile is completly blank ie all pixels are the same as the transparent color might be an option.

For example i have set the transparent color as white there for all tiles that are completly white should be considered blank.

Thanks for yor help
  • global_mapper
    edited October 2011
    I may be able to update the export to detect all invalid/transparent pixels as blank rather than just non-intersecting. Do you have a sample QCT file that I can experiment with?

Thanks,

Mike
    Global Mapper Support
    support@globalmapper.com
  • global_mapper
    edited October 2011
    I went ahead and updated the OSM (and other web format) exports to treat an export PNG or JPG file where all pixels end up as background pixels as "empty" so it should be deleted. I have placed a new build at http://www.globalmapper.com/global_mapper13.zip with the change for you to try. Simply download that file and extract the contents into your existing v13.xx installation folder to give it a try. If you are using the 64-bit v13 version there is a new build at http://www.globalmapper.com/global_mapper13_64bit.zip .

Let me know if I can be of further assistance.

Thanks,

Mike
    Global Mapper Support
    support@globalmapper.com
  • whitedragon
    edited October 2011
    Thanks Mike

I have tested it quickly and seleteced a large area of blank tile within my qct and it worked perfectly no tiles where outputede.

i will try with a larger area later today

Thanks again
  • whitedragon
    edited October 2011
    Thanks mike i can confirm that the new code works.