Hi,
I just have upgraded Global Mapper from V12 to V13 and noticed that I cannot
view S-63 chart files in the newer version. This seems to occur because the
Global Mapper trys to decrypt S-63 files by refering to a user permit number
tagged with the current version of Global Mapper, while a chart permit issued
by a chart supplier is based on a user permit number of the older version of
Global Mapper.

Obviously, one solution might be to re-purchase the S-63 chart file and ask the
chart supplier to re-issue another chart permit for V13. However, I need to handle
obsolete charts which are not selling any more (I am examining historical changes
of coastal bathymetry for a research purpose).
Another option might be keep using V12 to view S-63 charts, but I wish if I could
avoid this because V13 contains many attractive new features.

It would therefore be grateful if I could know any workarounds to succeed my user
permit originally created on V12 to V13, or incorporate any feature related to this issue
in a future version. I would give up if the user permit cannot be passed to a newer
version because of a copyright restriction.

Other than this, I enjoy using Global Mapper very much. Thanks for providing
this nice software.

best regards,
USO800

Comments

• global_mapper
    global_mapper Administrator
    edited October 2011
    Ah you are correct the user permits are tied to the version, but I think I can make this work for old versions as well. Can you send a sample file and your license information to support@globalmapper.com for me to test with so that I can get this working?

Thanks,

Mike
    Global Mapper Support
    support@globalmapper.com
  • uso800
    uso800 Global Mapper User
    edited October 2011
    Dear Mike,
    Many thanks to your quick response. I will send you some sample files and my license informaion via e-mail and
    hope things will be go well.

I think it should be mentioned here that Global Mapper is the only GIS software (other than designed for
    navigatonal use), as far as I aware, that supports S-63 (encrypted) electronic chart format, which is
    the de facto standard of present-day navigational charts, while most softwares can deal only with
    S-57 (non-encrypted) format, not commonly used in regions other than US and NZ. I would like to
    thank you again for providing this wonderful software.

best regards,
    USO800
  • global_mapper
    global_mapper Administrator
    edited October 2011
    Good news, with your files I was able to add support for loading S-63 files where the permit file was generated from a key from a prior version, so long as the user name was the same (it is in your case). I have placed a new build at http://www.globalmapper.com/global_mapper13.zip with the change for you to try. Simply download that file and extract the contents into your existing v13.xx installation folder to give it a try. If you are using the 64-bit v13 version there is a new build at http://www.globalmapper.com/global_mapper13_64bit.zip .

Let me know if I can be of further assistance.

Thanks,

Mike
    Global Mapper Support
    support@globalmapper.com
  • uso800
    uso800 Global Mapper User
    edited October 2011
    Dear Mike,
    I tested the new build and found it works as expected!
    Many thanks for your prompt and nice support.

best regards,
    USO800