Global Mapper v25.0

Unable to add data from an Access .mdb file as an ESRI Personal Geodatabase

Liz
Liz Global Mapper User
edited October 2011 in Technical Support
Hi all,

I am a GM novice, but have plenty of Arc and Access experience. I'm running Global Mapper v.13.00 (32 bit). I have created an Access 2003 database (.mdb) using Office 2010, and when I attempt to add the data into GM, first I get a prompt to select the overlay type: "The overlay type could not be determined from the filename you selected. Please select the type of file you wish to view." I then select ESRI Personal Geodatabase from the list and I get this error:

"No recognized ESRI Personal Geodatabase layers found in the file C:\\filepath\xx_database.mdb"

All of the tables and queries within the database are readable by Arc and I haven't utilised any of the Access 2007 or 2010 features that are not compatable with 2003. It's a very small database (<1 mb) and has only 4 tables and 1 query.

I'm running Windows 7 64 bit and GM v13.00 32 bit.

Any insights would be great.

Regards,

Liz

Comments

• global_mapper
    global_mapper Administrator
    edited October 2011
    Liz,

Is your MDB database an ESRI Personal Geodatabase or just a generic Access database without the same table structure as an ESRI Personal Geodatabase? Global Mapper only supports those MDB files that are formatted as an ESRI Personal Geodatabase and not a generic MDB file.

Thanks,

Mike
    Global Mapper Support
    support@globalmapper.com
  • Liz
    Liz Global Mapper User
    edited October 2011
    Hi Mike,

You're right, it's a generic Access file. It sounds like it's not really feasible to maintain an Access database (via access and not Arc) for the purposes of the GIS using Global Mapper. Do you think the most efficient way to use an Access database within GM is to export a query as a dbf as needed, or is there a better way to get the data file and the program to communicate?

Cheers

Liz
  • global_mapper
    global_mapper Administrator
    edited October 2011
    Liz,

That is correct, you cannot directly load generic MDB files, so you would need to use a DBF or just a simple CSV file to get the data into Global Mapper.

Thanks,

Mike
    Global Mapper Support
    support@globalmapper.com