Roger Edrinn
Roger Edrinn Global Mapper UserTrusted User
edited October 2011 in Technical Support
Error loading file data.
K:\MapData\CO\FinalLayers2011\xxxxxxxx2011.gmp
GlobalMapperOverlay.cpp - 2273
Version: v12.02
Build Time: Jun 24 2011 22:01:28

Repeatedly getting the same error message loading this GM Package file, one of many in a workspace. This happens even if I reload the file and re-save the workspace. File seems okay for subsequent operations, only on initial loading of my workspace containing this package file am I seeing the above error.

Suggestions?

Thanks

Comments

• global_mapper
    global_mapper Administrator
    edited September 2011
    It sounds like the file may be truncated or corrupt in some way. Can you provide the file?

Thanks,

Mike
    Global Mapper Support
    support@globalmapper.com
  • Roger Edrinn
    Roger Edrinn Global Mapper User Trusted User
    edited September 2011
    It sounds like the file may be truncated or corrupt in some way. Can you provide the file?
    This started higher up the "food chain" where a workspace of package files started creating that error.

Let me see if I can isolate the error to the smallest file and provide that as a sample.
  • Roger Edrinn
    edited September 2011
    I could not reproduce the error. The new workspace file opened w/o incident with the offending package file, even if I closed and reopened GM.

Well, that was easy. :)

To be continued???

Thanks
  • global_mapper
    edited September 2011
    I guess let me know if you see it again.

Thanks,

Mike
    Global Mapper Support
    support@globalmapper.com
  • Roger Edrinn
    edited October 2011
    Error message from this morning:
    Error loading file data.
    K:\MapData\CO\xxxxxx\xxxxxxx2011.gmp
    GlobalMapperOverlay.cpp - 2283
    Version: v12.02
    Build Time: Jun 24 2011 22:01:28
    Apparently what is happening is that I'm changing the Package File, then opening a Workspace that contains the package file, that workspace brings up the above error message when it encounters the changed package file.

The work-around is to delete the package file, if it exists, then to open it inside the workspace, and re-save the workspace.

Does that make sense? What should be happening in this situation?

Thanks
  • global_mapper
    edited October 2011
    Ah I see what is happening. When you save a workspace referencing a package file it saves the raw file type (like GeoTIFF for raster) of the layer inside the package and the offset and size of that file inside the package, then if you change that package file external to that workspace the workspace doesn't know about the new location and size of the layer (assuming the same layer even exists) in the package file and so it reads from the wrong location.

I may be able to do a lookup in the package file to try and update this automatically. I'll see if I can get a workaround for this for those cases where the same layer still exists in the package but is not the same location/size.

Thanks,

Mike
    Global Mapper Support
    support@globalmapper.com
  • Roger Edrinn
    edited October 2011
    Ah I see what is happening. When you save a workspace referencing a package file it saves the raw file type (like GeoTIFF for raster) of the layer inside the package and the offset and size of that file inside the package, then if you change that package file external to that workspace the workspace doesn't know about the new location and size of the layer (assuming the same layer even exists) in the package file and so it reads from the wrong location.

I may be able to do a lookup in the package file to try and update this automatically. I'll see if I can get a workaround for this for those cases where the same layer still exists in the package but is not the same location/size.
    This all has to do with automatic version control. I think I posted a feature request about this some months ago, went nowhere.

Basically I want to externally change workspace layers, then have GM recognize by file date that the package file has change and prompt or not to update the workspace when opening. This is not a fully cooked idea, just a framework.

Thanks
  • global_mapper
    edited October 2011
    I have updated the workspace loading to detect when a layer has moved in a package file and automatically update the location if possible, otherwise just report that it couldn't find the layer in the updated package file rather than showing the error that you are getting now. It's not always possible to locate a layer in a modified package file, so you would need to reload the package file and save the workspace again in those cases.

I have placed a new build at http://www.globalmapper.com/global_mapper12.zip with the change for you to try. Simply download that file and extract the contents into your existing v12.xx installation folder to give it a try. If you are using the 64-bit v12 version there is a new build at http://www.globalmapper.com/global_mapper12_64bit.zip .

Thanks,

Mike
    Global Mapper Support
    support@globalmapper.com