Global Mapper v25.0

Global Mapper to KMZ - missing grid data

gguy
gguy Global Mapper UserTrusted User
edited August 2011 in Technical Support
I have been trying now for weeks to try and duplicate something I found online. It was a KMZ for Google Earth that showed the grid data and the grid numbers for elevation data in Cook County Illinois. From their website, they only provide a list of their data and there's no way to tell just where in the county that data is for. The provide some files you can open in Global Mapper but unless you know how to apply those and then export to a KMZ that you can view in Google Earth, you would never know where the data is that you are looking for.

So I would like to know how this process in Global Mapper is done. I've provided an image showing 3 different things. The files they provide that you can open in Global Mapper, the Global Mapper view of the cells once you open those files, and a screenshot of the KMZ file I found, which shows the cells or a grid showing how their data is divided.

So how do I get these numbers to show up on the cells in Global Mapper so that I can export to a KMZ which will then give me the cell ID numbers so I know which data file I need to download.

Hopefully this makes sense. I appreciate any help.

forumqestionimage.jpg

Comments

• global_mapper
    global_mapper Administrator
    edited August 2011
    You should just be able to load the .shp file in Global Mapper, then go to the Options dialog for the layer from the Control Center, then select the attribute with the cell ID to use as the label. Then use the File->Export Vector Data menu command to export a KMZ file that you can view in Google Earth.

Thanks,

Mike
    Global Mapper Support
    support@globalmapper.com
  • gguy
    gguy Global Mapper User Trusted User
    edited August 2011
    You should just be able to load the .shp file in Global Mapper, then go to the Options dialog for the layer from the Control Center, then select the attribute with the cell ID to use as the label. Then use the File->Export Vector Data menu command to export a KMZ file that you can view in Google Earth.

Thanks,

Mike
    Global Mapper Support
    support@globalmapper.com

Yup - that worked. I just never looked at the drop down box to pick the file attribute type.

Trying to do this for the USGS Seamless Server 1/9 Arc second based on their shp file and it works great in Global Mapper. Only problem is, loading that KMZ into Google Earth is way to slow. It loads but when you try to zoom in it stalls out. Is that too much information for Google Earth to handle? Maybe the USGS should break that shape file into separate regions of the US so it's a smaller file. Any ideas how I can get this to load in Google Earth without it stalling? Thanks Mike.
  • global_mapper
    global_mapper Administrator
    edited August 2011
    You could try using the Gridding tab when exporting to break your export into smaller pieces, then also check the box to create an index file. You can then load that and then the smaller boxes won't actually load until you zoom in further.

Let me know if I can be of further assistance.

Thanks,

Mike
    Global Mapper Support
    support@globalmapper.com