Global Mapper v25.0

Feature Types and Legends

PSUJim
PSUJim Global Mapper User
edited July 2011 in Technical Support
I have a set of point features that have an unknown feature type. The legend I'm using names the symbols based on 'Feature Type', so anything that is listed as 'unknown' will be labeled as such in the legend.

So I used the [Search-->Search by attributes, name and description] option in the menu to identify all of these points with an unknown feature type. After selecting them all in the search results window, I chose the 'Edit Selected' button, and then I changed the feature type to my desired type. After I do this. the legend changes to match this new edit, which is what I want.

However, when I save the workspace and then re-open it, the legend has reverted to labeling the features as 'unknown' once again. It seems that the edits I make with the [Search-->Search by attributes, names and description] option are not permanent. How do I make them permanent?

I'm also having the same problem with some area and line features as well, but I'm sure that one solution will work for all three. I thought that perhaps editing them all at once was the issue, so I tried to do a few individually. But I still have the same issue.

Thanks in advance.

Comments

• global_mapper
    global_mapper Administrator
    edited July 2011
    What version of Global Mapper are you using? I would expect the feature type changes to stay between saving a workspace and then re-opening it.

Thanks,

Mike
    Global Mapper Support
    support@globalmapper.com
  • PSUJim
    edited July 2011
    Mike,

I'm using version 12. You're right, I would expect that too. But no matter how often I changed the feature type, it always reverted back to 'unknown' (for all three: points, lines and areas).

I simply re-imported everything into a new workspace, and then I changed the feature types after each import (eg. brought in a set of lines, changed them from 'unknown' type to 'grid line', and then saved the workspace). That seemed to do the trick. It was a work-around, but it did the job. Strange.

Thank you, Mike.
  • global_mapper
    global_mapper Administrator
    edited July 2011
    Which v12 version are you using? If not v12.02 can you try downlading that from www.globalmapper.com and see if it makes a difference?

Thanks,

Mike
  • PSUJim
    edited July 2011
    I'm using v12.00, Mike. No sweat, though. I've already replaced my old workspace with the new one (where I re-imported the features and re-classified them as I imported them). Everything is a-ok now. Still not sure why the changes weren't permanent in the old workspace, but no worries.