Global Mapper v25.0

Map Catalog File - not all map images displaying at initial scale

pwave1
pwave1 Global Mapper User
edited July 2011 in Technical Support
Hi all,

I'm using GM 12.02, Mac OS X 10.6 running VMWare Fusion 3.0 with Windows 7. I've recently encountered a problem using a Map Catalog File of some LiDAR data. When the first images are displayed (instead of map boundary boxes) as I zoom into the area, a few (~1%) remain as bounding boxes. They continue to remain as bounding boxes until I zoom in considerably and then become images. The same offenders do this consistently, in addition, a few files exhibit this behavior inconsistently.

If I use these images tiles in a workspace (without the proxy bounding boxes) they all display at the same scales consistently.

All data are at the same resolution and come from the same collection campaign.

I have attached a screenshot of the display and also of the settings for the map catalog file.
TIA for your help. This is a great program.

Mark

Windows 7 New.jpg

Windows 7 New-1.jpg

Comments

• global_mapper
    global_mapper Administrator
    edited July 2011
    That is a strange one, if you create a catalog with just the one tile does it exhibit that same behavior? What is the build date on your v12.02? Can you try getting the latest build and see if it makes a difference? I have placed a new build at http://www.globalmapper.com/global_mapper12.zip with the latest changes for you to try. Simply download that file and extract the contents into your existing v12.xx installation folder to give it a try. If you are using the 64-bit v12 version there is a new build at http://www.globalmapper.com/global_mapper12_64bit.zip .

Let me know if I can be of further assistance.

Thanks,

Mike
    Global Mapper Support
    support@globalmapper.com
  • pwave1
    edited July 2011
    Mike,

Thanks for the quick response. Build is (b051211). I'm downloading the newest build now. I've checked another map catalog file at a different location with only 8 tiles and 3 are still bounding boxes. I will try a single tile MCF but not sure how to tell if it is behaving improperly since it may be a well-behaved tile and they ALL display after I zoom in to a considerable amount.

It's 32-bit. Should get 64-bit W7...

Mark
  • global_mapper
    edited July 2011
    Mark,

How large are the other LAS files being loaded? The only thing that I can think of (assuming that the new version doesn't help) is that you are running out of memory so some tiles can't be loaded, so they fail and just the bounding box is shown. When you zoom in far enough that some of the other layers go offscreen and are unloaded then you have memory to load the others and it works. If this is the case then the 64-bit version would help as you could use more memory.

Thanks,

Mike
    Global Mapper Support
    support@globalmapper.com
  • pwave1
    edited July 2011
    Mike,

Okay, running on b072011 and still have the same issue. I've thought about the memory issue which is plausible, however, when I'm looking at the same group of files (or even a much larger dataset of tiles) as a workspace they always display at all scales. The load time is a bit slow for refresh but there is never an omission of files. I don't know how memory gets allocated between those two tasks, MCF vs. workspace but, my guess would be that the workspace is demanding more memory because so many more files are being called up.

I appreciate your help on this.

Mark
  • global_mapper
    edited July 2011
    Mark,

If you run Task Manager what is the memory usage for Global Mapper?

What you might also do is use File->Batch Convert/Reproject to batch convert your LAS files to Global Mapper Grid (GMG) files, then create a map catalog of those. They should load and display much faster and not have any memory problems.

Thanks,

Mike
    Global Mapper Support
    support@globalmapper.com
  • pwave1
    edited July 2011
    This conversation continued through email as Mike worked with me on a sample of my data. He figured out a solution to the problem. As it turned out, the files that were not posting as images were relatively small (in area). I used the default setting for the map catalog file which was for the files to turn from bounding boxes to images when they were 10% of the window size. So, those small files were below 10% of the image window and didn't display until I zoomed in more. The solution was to use the map scale setting, so that the bounding boxes become images, say, at 1:100,000. Then they all display at the same time.

Thanks Mike for the great help.

Mark