Global Mapper v25.0

New User: Contour Layers, Graticule tick marks, and export questions

jmiller8031
jmiller8031 Global Mapper User
edited July 2011 in Technical Support
Hi new user here. I've searched around but haven't found any answers for my particular questions. Please note that I'm in no way a cartographer, I'm a graphic designer rather, so I guess you could say I'm really, really new.

My company bought Global Mapper because it allows us to general contour lines quickly. Before we were tracing lines manually. I was hoping that there might be a way to get Global Mapper to automatically create layers for each contour interval. I need to generate contours for various maps in 500 foot intervals, but I need to keep track of each specific interval for color assignment in Adobe Illustrator. Is there a way to do such a thing?

We were also hoping to use the grid feature to generate a graticule that looked a specific way. We want the main grid to be spaced a 30 minute intervals, while every 10 minutes has a specific tick mark, every 5 minutes also has a smaller tick mark, and finally every minute has the smallest tick mark. Is this possible?

Finally, I would really like to export a single vector format PDF but the paper size options do not go large enough in Global Mapper. Our charts are 42 x 60 inches. This highest export option I see is Arch E3 size. This forces me to export "chunks" of contour lines and having to manually line up and attach them together in Illustrator. Is there a work around for this?

Thanks.

Comments

• global_mapper
    global_mapper Administrator
    edited July 2011
    What you can do for the layering is create all of your contour lines, then right-click on the layer in the Control Center and select to split into separate layers based on description/attribute value, then split based on the display label.

There isn't currently support for customizing the grid display beyond setting up the styling for 3 different grid intervals using the Grid Line types on the Line Styles tab of the Configuration dialog.

For the PDF paper size, is there a standard name used for the 42 x 60 inch size? I can't seem to find any reference to that as a standard paper size.

Thanks,

Mike
    Global Mapper Support
    support@globalmapper.com
  • jmiller8031
    edited July 2011
    Thanks for the contour layering info. I'll definitely use that. It's a pity about the grid, but I think I can find a way to create a custom graphic style to create the ticks in Illustrator. As far as the paper size goes, we own our own print shop so paper size is cut to whatever we need it to be. 60 x 42 is the largest we size we do. We make official VFR aeronautical charts for various US states. The 60 x 42 is a north and south side of a standard FAA VFR sectional chart pasted together. If there is a way to just input paper dimensions that would be a preferable. This is what we do inside of Illustrator when creating PDFs for a press run. Thanks.
  • global_mapper
    global_mapper Administrator
    edited July 2011
    I have added a custom paper size of 60" x 42" for the PDF export. I have placed a new build at http://www.globalmapper.com/global_mapper12.zip with the change for you to try. Simply download that file and extract the contents into your existing v12.xx installation folder to give it a try. If you are using the 64-bit v12 version there is a new build at http://www.globalmapper.com/global_mapper12_64bit.zip .

Let me know if I can be of further assistance.

Thanks,

Mike
    Global Mapper Support
    support@globalmapper.com
  • jmiller8031
    edited July 2011
    Very much appreciated. Works like a charm!