Global Mapper v25.0

Trying to understand what happens in GPS Mapping Applications:

chs200123
chs200123 Global Mapper User
edited June 2011 in Technical Support
Trying to understand what happens in GPS Mapping Applications:

If I wanted to pull GPS data into a 3d application, how exactly does the application “map” the coordinate system in the background? For example, if I wanted to use an opensource 3D application and call a function from android to send the GPS data into the 3D application, how would I get the 3D application to understand GPS coordinates? What I’m asking for is the overview not detailed API calls. I’m trying to understand the larger picture of getting a real world areas (lets say a neighborhood or a real building) GPS coordinates into a Cartesian grid system. How could I pull a real world NEMA data into 3D space so an application knows where to place dots or graphics etc accordingly?

Can global mapper "extract" some kind of data file where I could import a real-world GPS coordinate system into the applications background? Again, I'm just looking for the overall picture so I can visualize how this is done.

Comments

• global_mapper
    global_mapper Administrator
    edited June 2011
    Typically you would just provide the raw lat/lon/WGS84 coordinates to the application and it would know how to convert those coordinates to what grid system that it needs to. At least this is how Global Mapper works.

Thanks,

Mike
    Global Mapper Support
    support@globalmapper.com