Global Mapper v25.0

Deleting all the holes in a given shapefile layer?

RobertR
RobertR GlobalMapper Fan!Trusted User
edited June 2011 in Vector Data
Hello GM community!

Is there a way of cleaning a shapefile layer by removing the holes that are in it?

If you have to delete the holes from a large area (let's say, a county), when you select the layer and click the 'select island areas' in selected area feature' it just clears the selection without doing anything;

I guess this is because I have many area features in that layer;

Is there a way to get rid of the holes without selecting each feature at a time? Also, when I have a CDP in a city and I use the above mentioned option, it also selects the CDP, not only the holes.

I was wondering if there is a solution for this.

Many thanks for the support,

Comments

• global_mapper
    global_mapper Administrator
    edited May 2011
    I took a look and found a potential problem using the option to 'select islands in selected areas' if you already had some islands selected. Those islands would just get unselected. I have fixed this issue so now if you select all areas in layer then use the select islands option only the islands should be selected so you can easily delete them. I have placed a new build at http://www.globalmapper.com/global_mapper12.zip with the change for you to try. Simply download that file and extract the contents into your existing v12.xx installation folder to give it a try. If you are using the 64-bit v12 version there is a new build at http://www.globalmapper.com/global_mapper12_64bit.zip . Give this a couple of minutes to upload if you get this message immediately.

Let me know if I can be of further assistance.

Thanks,

Mike
    Global Mapper Support
    support@globalmapper.com
  • RobertR
    RobertR GlobalMapper Fan! Trusted User
    edited May 2011
    Hello,

Indeed, now it works like a charm but I still have one question. Although it selects all the wholes in the layer, it also selects areas within areas (like in the attachment; with red we have the areas, and with black the hole);

Is it possible to get rid (just) of the holes?

Many thanks for the support,
  • RobertR
    edited May 2011
    Update:

Been working around this problem for the past minutes and I see that even though it selects areas as well, it only deletes the wholes and it somehow creates an overlay for the rest of the areas (I attached both the new capture and the previous one, which I forgot);

To try and sort this out, I was thinking of erasing small features using their attributes so I did the following thing:

- added the measure attributes to the selected features (the entire layer);
    - then I tried to delete the ones that have the area under a specific value;

The problem is that in the 'PERIMETER' column I have both values represented in 'miles' and also in 'ft'; Thus, I cannot make a selection on this column;

I think this would even help me more than the issue with the holes so I would appreciate some help;

Thanks,
  • RobertR
    edited May 2011
    Sollution:

1. Either somehow create an attribute that will contain areas or
    2. To work on the 'PERIMETER' column and delete features that have under a specified value by selecting each feature;

I see that I have an ENCLOSED AREA tab so maybe I can use this one to filter my data.
    (Unfortunately, a user can delete/edit his post only 5mins so I created a mess here. Sorry for that. Hopefully other users will find these posts useful);

Many thanks and kind regards,
  • global_mapper
    global_mapper Administrator
    edited May 2011
    What you can do is right-click in the Measure Tool and specify to use the base units for all measurements, then you will get consistent units for all of your measurements to allow easy sorting and comparison. Just add the measure attributes to the areas after setting this option.

Let me know if I can be of further assistance.

Thanks,

Mike
    Global Mapper Support
    support@globalmapper.com
  • MartinJones
    MartinJones Global Mapper User
    edited June 2011
    [..] What you can do is right-click in the Measure Tool and specify to use the base units for all measurements, then you will get consistent units for all of your measurements to allow easy sorting and comparison. [..]

..good to know - thanks ;-)