Global Mapper v25.0

Rmap & Rtmap (Compegps) support?

ajre72
ajre72 Global Mapper UserTrusted User
edited March 2011 in Suggestion Box
Hello,

Both Global Mapper and Compegpsland are my favourite mapping programs, the first for making maps, the second for working with tracks.

Recently Compegps offers a new (?) file format (rmap and rtmap) with a very good relation btw size and quality.

Does Global Mapper plan to give support to these formats? By now we can't even open these formats with GM.

Thanks in advance

Comments

• global_mapper
    global_mapper Administrator
    edited March 2011
    Do you have any samples of those maps? Unless the formats are simple we would need the format specifications from CompeGPS to add support for them.

Thanks,

Mike
    Global Mapper Support
    support@globalmapper.com
  • ajre72
    ajre72 Global Mapper User Trusted User
    edited March 2011
    here you have a sample, a zip containing two files:

-an ecw made with GM from a tiff
    -a rmap made with compegps from this ecw

thanks!

ooops, the file: http://www.mediafire.com/file/clu2k56yu026s2j/gmsample.zip
  • global_mapper
    edited March 2011
    I'm afraid without a format specification from CompeGPS (which I couldn't find on their web site) there won't be any way to support this file format.

Thanks,

Mike
    Global Mapper Support
    support@globalmapper.com
  • ajre72
    ajre72 Global Mapper User Trusted User
    edited March 2011
    Hello Mike,

As far as i know rmap is basically a series of tiled maps (from the largest one, to the smallest one), where each next map is previous map shrunk to half. Every map has to have the same extent in geographic coordinates, but of course different size in pixels...

don't know if this is enough, probably not :)

thanks again
  • global_mapper
    edited March 2011
    Unfortunately that isn't nearly enough. I really need a detailed format specification describing what each byte means. For a complex format this could be a very long document, or it might just be a few pages of description. This would likely need to be produced by CompeGPS unless someone reverse engineered the format.

Thanks,

Mike
    Global Mapper Support
    support@globalmapper.com