Global Mapper v25.0

check for updates - check for latest build?

redbeard
redbeard Global Mapper UserTrusted User
edited September 2010 in Suggestion Box
Now I know you have a check for updates - which is fine for the point releases.

Is there a way to make it check for the latest build? It would be nice knowing that I have the latest build when I find some issue or knowing that I have the latest improvements and optimizations (and corrections for OS updates or something like that).

Just an idea.

Comments

• global_mapper
    global_mapper Administrator
    edited September 2010
    In general the daily builds aren't good to advertise for normal users since they might contain significant bugs and not be tested thoroughly. In practice they usually don't, but since there is almost always at least one new build a day for the current major version, you could just go grab it a couple times a week if you always want the absolute latest build.

Thanks,

Mike
    Global Mapper Support
    support@globalmapper.com
  • tjhb
    tjhb Global Mapper User Trusted User
    edited September 2010
    Mike is there a system for updating the full installer? At the moment it is changing pretty frequently, and when the installer changes I take this as a signal that it may be advisable to update, and unlikely to introduce regressions. (Less likely, anyway, than always installing the latest build.) Is this right, and are updates to the installer advertised to the automatic check feature, or does it only notice a changed version number?
  • global_mapper
    global_mapper Administrator
    edited September 2010
    The installer updates typically are only done for bug fixes just after a release. They don't change the version number to avoid triggering the update check whenever one of those is done. I would suggest just downloading the latest build every so often to make sure you are up to date.

Thanks,

Mike
    Global Mapper Support
    support@globalmapper.com