Global Mapper v25.0

3 D Imaging

Greg Hardin
Greg Hardin Global Mapper User
edited September 2010 in Elevation Data
I am new to this product, have lots to learn! One issue I am really puzzled with is that I want to see a hill-side in the Pittsburg area in 3-D as I want to overlay a plotting for a pipeline which will run from a water main beside the road, over several hills and down to a waiting resevoir. When I click on the 3-D view...I get nothing...at all. Help?!

Comments

• global_mapper
    global_mapper Administrator
    edited September 2010
    What version of Global Mapper are you using? Do you already have the hill in Pittsburgh loaded as a terrain layer?

Thanks,

Mike
    Global Mapper Support
    support@globalmapper.com
  • Greg Hardin
    edited September 2010
    I am using version 11.2. Yes, I have the hillside copied from google earth.
  • global_mapper
    edited September 2010
    How did you copy it from Google Earth? Are you sure it's a terrain layer and not just a picture? Note that you can pull in terrain for any area in the US using the NED layer on the File->Download ONline Terrain/Data menu command in Global Mapper. That will definitely be terrain data.

Thanks,

Mike
    Global Mapper Support
    support@globalmapper.com
  • Greg Hardin
    edited September 2010
    Alright, as you suggested, I used the File->Download ONline Terrain/Data menu command adn selected NAIP Color Imagery for US (1m Resolution). That loaded sucessfully ... still no luck at the 3-D viewing.
  • global_mapper
    edited September 2010
    You need to load terrain data. The NAIP imagery is just an image, it doesn't contain terrain. Try loading the NED terrain data, it will give you a 3D surface.

Let me know if I can be of further assistance.

Thanks,

Mike
    Global Mapper Support
    support@globalmapper.com
  • Greg Hardin
    edited September 2010
    Mike;

I was wondering... I have a new pipeline to lay out over teh 3-D image I have purchased. With your input, I found a goo source data and made a perchace today. Thanks. So, now I have a list of approximately 54 different gps positions where I will lay out my pipe. I'd like to illustrate this pipeline with your software. My specific question is: who can I easily import the spreasheet with the se 54 data points, or gps points into Global Mapper? Can a file be imported containg hte raw data that I want the Mapping Software to recognoce and plot?
  • global_mapper
    edited September 2010
    Yes, just save your list of coordinates to a text file (like a CSV file if using Excel), then you can load that into Global Mapper using the File->Open Generic ASCII Data File menu command.

Thanks,

Mike
    Global Mapper Support
    support@globalmapper.com
  • Greg Hardin
    edited September 2010
    Mike;

I followed these instructions (File->Open Generic ASCII Data File menu command), and converted the file to txt. But it still would not upload. I feel certain it is that I need to manipulatre he data in some special way, but I don.t know what the dat nneds to look like. Can you look at these attachemtns adn help me see what formatting issues I need to correct. One file is the text file, the other is the excell spread sheet where I ahve the original data. Any help is greatly appreciated!!
  • global_mapper
    edited September 2010
    The problem was the trailing + or - signs for your coordinates (usually they would be at the front). In any case, I was able to update Global Mapper to support trailing sign values so I can now load your data. You basically just need to specify 'Tab' as your delimeter and the rest should be ok by default.

I have placed a new build at http://www.globalmapper.com/global_mapper11.zip with the change for you to try. Simply download that file and extract the contents into your existing v11.xx installation folder to give it a try. If you are using the 64-bit v11 version there is a new build at http://www.globalmapper.com/global_mapper11_64bit.zip .

Thanks,

Mike
    Global Mapper Support
    support@globalmapper.com
  • Greg Hardin
    edited September 2010
    I sucessffully moved thje files yopu modified into the Global mapper folders as you directed. Unfortunately the file is still now loading as you indicated.

Somehow, I am still missing steps. i ppologize for you haveing to hold my hand through this process, as tyou can see i am a novice at mapping software.

My boss wants three specific views. I will re-buiilding these three types with regularity for each new contract I land:

* Areal image with pipe placement overlayed
    * 3-D Path Profile of the designated area
    * 3-D TOPO of the designated area.

I have attached a new file with all the data...I converted the excel spreadsheet to text file so you have all the information I have. So..i have the new map from map Mart. They were extreemly helpful with yesterday as well. They are quite familiar with your software and indeed spoke highly of you and your software. So, now I neeed to be able to plot the pipeline onto the map, and present the data in the three views I have indicated. I definately appreciate your support and patience. I am working outside my field of expertice, and you are a life saver!

I guess what I am asking is support on how to execute these three views utilizing my data.
  • global_mapper
    edited September 2010
    For your complete data file with all fields you'll want to load the Northing, Easting, and Elevation fields for the line. To do this, load the file with the File->Open Generic ASCII Text File menu command with the options below.

ascii_options.jpg

Note that the projection to select is 'State Plane' with the 'West Virginia North' zone and units of 'US Survey Feet'. I'm not sure if your elevation values are feet or meters, so choose whichever is correct.

Once you have it loaded, use the File->Download Online IMagery/Data menu command bring in imagery, probably the NAIP imagery would work best for that area and is free. You can also pull in the NED elevation data source to get 1 arc second resolution (about 30 meter) terrain data for your area.

Thanks,

Mike
    Global Mapper Support
    support@globalmapper.com
  • Greg Hardin
    edited September 2010
    Mike, you are a miricle man! Thanks for you kind patience. I have 3 new questions, then i'll be done for now.

1) I have the pipeline in my file now (will have to go back and re-study on how I did it!), but I ned to change colots on hte line to a more easily identifiable color than it appears. (it is yellow, I think I'd prefer blue...).

2) The pipleline layer is like hte last one of 5. I need it to post on top, or to always show on top (like the North Icon).

3) I downloaded teh user/help manual in pdf form adn will go have it preinted So I can read and learn. Question: Is there a class or webinar offered for tutering or hands on instruction with the software? I have been tasked with this new process for ou comapny, now I need to go get smart with t he tools. Any help?
  • global_mapper
    edited September 2010
    There are a couple of ways to edit the drawing style of the line. I would suggest just selecting it with the Digitizer Tool (the pencil on the toolbar), then right-click and select the edit option, then change the drawing style (note you can just double-click on the line to directly bring up the edit dialog too).

To make the line layer always draw on top of others, simply open the Control Center (under the Tools menu), then move the layer with the pipeline to the bottom of the list (the list represents draw order, so the item on bottom draws last).

While there aren't any classes or webinars for Global Mapper, there are several short video tutorials covering different parts of the software available at http://www.globalmapperforum.com/tutorial.html .

Thanks,

Mike
    Global Mapper Support
    support@globalmapper.com