Global Mapper v25.0

Krasovsky 1940 Equidistant Conic projection ?

Eric G
Eric G Global Mapper User
edited July 2010 in Projection Questions
Good afternoon.

I'm making at this moment geological maps using USGS data. I'm trying to use data covering the former Soviet Union but I've got a problem with the projection: the metadata of the shapefile says that the projection is a Lambert Conformal Conic but it doesn't match. Opening the prj file I can see that they used the « Krasovsky 1940 Equidistant Conic » one which seems not being supported by my GM 10.02 version.

Any chance to have support for this projection, or any advice for an equivalent one?

Thanks

Comments

• global_mapper
    global_mapper Administrator
    edited July 2010
    Can you post the data from the metadata file so that I can take a look and see what projection and datum should be used?

Thanks,

Mike
    Global Mapper Support
    support@globalmapper.com
  • Eric G
    edited July 2010
    Hello Mike

The USGS metadata page is here:
    http://certmapper.cr.usgs.gov/Xmeta/Xmeta.jsp?docId={DD2E8DE1-B0BB-485C-AC0D-9BF422D832C7}

The prj file says:
    PROJCS["Krasovsky_1940_Equidistant_Conic",GEOGCS["GCS_Krasovsky_1940",DATUM["D_Krasovsky_1940",SPHEROID["Krasovsky_1940",6378245.0,298.3]],PRIMEM["Greenwich",0.0],UNIT["Degree",0.0174532925199433]],PROJECTION["Equidistant_Conic"],PARAMETER["False_Easting",0.0],PARAMETER["False_Northing",0.0],PARAMETER["Central_Meridian",100.0],PARAMETER["Standard_Parallel_1",58.5],PARAMETER["Standard_Parallel_2",58.5],PARAMETER["Latitude_Of_Origin",60.0],UNIT["Meter",1.0]]
  • global_mapper
    global_mapper Administrator
    edited July 2010
    You will first want to create a custom datum named 'Krasovsky 1940' and base it on the Krassovsky ellipsoid (just keep all default parameters), then load your metadata file on the Projection dialog to setup the projection as an Equidistant Conic B projection.

Let me know if I can be of further assistance.

Thanks,

Mike
    Global Mapper Support
    support@globalmapper.com
  • Eric G
    edited July 2010
    Perfect!

I really like this software: thanks to you Mike there's always an answer to a question and a solution to a problem, all this in very short time!

Many thanks

Eric G.