Global Mapper v25.0

Shape file to DXf with elevation

albud1962
albud1962 Global Mapper UserTrusted User
edited June 2010 in Elevation Data
I am have problems with a shape file. It seems when I export the file to DXF
I lose all elevation information on the resulting polyline. I set the pointer to the elevation attribute before exporting. The shape file is found at http://home.comcast.net/~abudinsky/shapea.zip.
The data comes from the PASDA website in Pa. I use these files a bunch so any insight is appreciated.

Comments

• global_mapper
    global_mapper Administrator
    edited June 2010
    Try checking the box to generate 3D features when you export the DXF file. Then your selected elevation attribute should be used to add elevation to the exported features.

Let me know if I can be of further assistance.

Thanks,

Mike
    Global Mapper Support
    support@globalmapper.com
  • albud1962
    albud1962 Global Mapper User Trusted User
    edited June 2010
    Hey Mike:
    Tried what you suggested but still no go. Its weird because other contour shape files work fine. Could it be
    something in the DBF file that is corrupted?
  • global_mapper
    global_mapper Administrator
    edited June 2010
    I took a look and found the issue. Your Shapefile contains 3D lines that have an elevation of 0 set for each vertex in addition to the ELEVATION attribute. The per-vertex elevations take precedence over the ELEVATION attribute, so 0 is being used for all elevations. What you should do is export to a new Shapefile and don't check the 3D option. This will get rid of those per-vertex elevations but keep the ELEVATION attribute. Then load that and export to a DXF file.

Let me know if I can be of further assistance.

Thanks,

Mike
    Global Mapper Support
    support@globalmapper.com
  • albud1962
    albud1962 Global Mapper User Trusted User
    edited June 2010
    It worked Mike. Thanks for your help!