Global Mapper v25.0

Background color and gridding...

RAP
RAP Global Mapper UserTrusted User
edited June 2010 in Technical Support
I've got a large ecw that I am cutting into many geotiff tiles (1024, specifically). I've done this before, and Global Mapper performs this task effortlessly. However, here's the main problem I had the last time I did this. The original ecw has an irregular shape. As the gridding process cuts the tiles, GM ends up using the background color as filler around the edges, and I end up with many tiles of only background color.

Is there a means to prevent this from happening? I think drawing a polygon around the ecw and cutting the tiles that way would prevent this from happening. The last time around, I discarded the background color tiles by opening them individually.

Comments

• global_mapper
    global_mapper Administrator
    edited June 2010
    Unless you crop to a polygon so that the shape of the original ECW could be easily detected, there isn't a way to automatically detect all empty tiles and delete them automatically. The all empty tiles should all be of a very small and identical size, so you should be able to easily identify them after the export completes.

Let me know if I can be of further assistance.

Thanks,

Mike
    Global Mapper Support
    support@globalmapper.com
  • RAP
    RAP Global Mapper User Trusted User
    edited June 2010
    Yep, that's about what I figured. No big deal to that end; just wanted to see if GM could blow my mind even more. Thanks!