Global Mapper v25.0

Russian projections?

jumpmouse
jumpmouse Global Mapper User
edited June 2010 in Projection Questions
Hello.
New here, new in gis. sorry if my terminology isn't quite good.
I am supposed to do something with an Russian map, with these marks (14-50-24 and N-50-24).

If anybody could tell me in what coordinate system is map. There are 3 sets of grids: latlong, I guess UTM and unknown (to me).
map is from 1985.

I found out that Russians use s-42 with Gauss Kruger zones 4-32. This one should be in 20, but I just cant get it right. when I turn on grids (UTM or GK20), they do not match with lines on map.

Please help

Comments

• global_mapper
    global_mapper Administrator
    edited May 2010
    Those coordinate look like latitude and longitude values to me. The 14-50-24 is probably 14 degrees, 50 minutes, and 24 seconds east longitude (this corresponds to a decimal value of 14.84 degrees, and N-50-24 is 50 degrees 24 minutes north latitude, or 50.4 decimal degrees.

Let me know if I can be of further assistance.

Thanks,

Mike
    Global Mapper Support
    support@globalmapper.com
  • jumpmouse
    jumpmouse Global Mapper User
    edited May 2010
    Thanks for swift answer.

I found out some informations.
    N50 is UTM N50, 24 is sector. latlong coordinates of the map are: left up 54,0 lat and 119,0 long; right down 53,3333 (53 20') lat and 120,0 long.

But I still get error.
    and error is:
    if I register map in Pulkovo 1942, Gauss Kruger (6 degree) zone 20, UTM grid is 100m upper (from UTM grid on map).
    If I register map in WGS84, GK20 or Transverse Mercator with same parameters, error is still there.

And, I can't figure out what is second grid on the map (maybe the millitary projection, I don't know the acronim)

what datum and projection is used on this map, or, what datum and projection is used in this part of world (Russia)?
  • global_mapper
    global_mapper Administrator
    edited June 2010
    You might try the 'S-42 Russia' or WGS72 datum to see if that helps. If you are only 100m off using Gauss Kruger it sounds like you've got the projection right, it's just a matter of getting the right datum. Often the datum used will be indicated in the collar of the map. Is there anything describing the projection/datum there?

Let me know if I can be of further assistance.

Thanks,

Mike
    Global Mapper Support
    support@globalmapper.com