Global Mapper v25.0

Macintosh version

Hunter Geophysics
Hunter Geophysics Global Mapper UserTrusted User
edited June 2012 in Suggestion Box
Hi,

I know it's a big ask, but I'd be most appreciative if a Mac-compatible version of Global Mapper were made available.

Thanks,

Comments

• global_mapper
    global_mapper Administrator
    edited April 2010
    David,

While there are not any plans for a native Mac version of Global Mapper, you should be able to run Global Mapper on a Mac using emulation software like Parallels or VirtualPC.

Thanks,

Mike
    Global Mapper Support
    support@globalmapper.com
  • Hunter Geophysics
    Hunter Geophysics Global Mapper User Trusted User
    edited April 2010
    Hadn't thought of that.
    Thanks. :)
  • redbeard
    redbeard Global Mapper User Trusted User
    edited April 2010
    There's also vmware fusion and sun virtualbox. Virtual pc is for powerpc mac (G4 and G5). Parallels, Vmware fusion and sun virtualbox work on intel macs.

You might try WINE, to see if it will run global mapper. I was able to get an GM10 and earlier versions to work under codeweavers WINE, haven't tried for the current releases. Some terms to google would be codeweavers, wine bottler, winehq.

Parallels, Fusion, virtualbox require a windows license, wine does not.

sun virtualbox, wine and wine bottler are free.

Codeweavers wine, vmware fusion and parallels are not free.
  • Hunter Geophysics
    edited April 2010
    Amusingly, I use both Wine (on Linux) and VMWare Fusion (on the Mac).
    Neither sprang to mind when I first posted.

Long story short is that Global Mapper works perfectly under VMWare Fusion on Mac, and acceptable under Wine on Linux (there are a few graphics glitches, but this is probably due to my hardware and Wine itself).

Thanks for the help. :)
  • bdtrudgill
    bdtrudgill Global Mapper User
    edited December 2011
    Anyone had any success running Global Mapper under Wine on a Mac?
    I got it to install fine and GM opens up OK, but then I get a black screen after downloading online data. Postion and elevation data still seem good, but no images.

Thanks!

Mac OS X 10.6.8 on a Macbook Pro 3.06 GHz with 8GB RAM
  • petersa
    petersa Global Mapper User
    edited May 2012
    bdtrudgill wrote: »
    Anyone had any success running Global Mapper under Wine on a Mac?
    I got it to install fine and GM opens up OK, but then I get a black screen after downloading online data. Postion and elevation data still seem good, but no images.

Thanks!

Mac OS X 10.6.8 on a Macbook Pro 3.06 GHz with 8GB RAM

I'm a complete newby to this program and macs in general. Do you need to buy windows after buying a conversion program like wine or parallel to run GM?
  • alancharlesworth
    alancharlesworth Global Mapper User
    edited June 2012
    I used Global Mapper on Windows 7 on Parallels on a Mac Pro using Parallels to merge 88 GB of USGS & Canadian DRG files into larger geoTiff blocks. I used GM scripting, and ran four instances of GM at the same time to get a 4x speed up. My mac pro has 4 cores, and running four copies of GM has no discernible effect on other Mac apps. I was amazed at how little memory GM uses, 4 GB was more than enough to give Windows when running 4 instances of GM at once.

Wine emulates the APIs of windows, and doesn't require a copy of Windows. However, it doesn't work on most programs. Parallels, Fusion, and VirtualBox, all emulate at a low level, and run Windows (or other OSes). Parallels was rock solid with GM. It even does nice touches like mapping the Mac command key to the appropriate key for windows, so basic keyboard shortcuts work the same on either OS.
  • Hunter Geophysics
    edited June 2012
    alancharlesworth, thanks for your comment about Parallels - I have been considering making the switch from VMWare to Parallels for a while after seeing a supplier use it for some 3D graphics stuff (i.e. running Voxler)... VMWare would never be able to do that!

I have noticed that GM's 3D mode doesn't work very well with VMWare (i.e. I either get a blank screen or the entire virtual machine just freezes). Have you been able to use the 3D view in GM under Parallels? If so, which version of Windows are you running? I am running XP Pro, but hopefully I don't need an OS upgrade.

Cheers,
    Dave.