Global Mapper v25.0

3D LAS well log data display

Bill Carson
Bill Carson Global Mapper User
edited December 2009 in Vector Data
I am currently using dlgv32Pro so I don't have access to 3D features of GlobalMapper, but I have seen the features offered in v11.01 that are about to make me open my wallet. Specifically, the ability to extrude vector data has me interested in how GM would display well log data that are in LAS format, which is the Log ASCII Standard interchange format (not LIDAR, see: http://www.cwls.org/las_info.php).

I presume it would be relatively easy to import LAS data into GM, but since I don't have 3D capabilities I can't view how it might look or see what I need to do to get it to work. I hope this question isn't too vague, but maybe someone has a ready answer for it.

Comments

• global_mapper
    global_mapper Administrator
    edited December 2009
    While Global Mapper v11.01 can display and extrude 3D area features, GM does not currently support loading the Log ASCII format used for wells. The LAS format that Global Mapper supports is for Lidar elevation points. I will add this format to the todo list though.

Thanks,

Mike
    Global Mapper Support
    support@globalmappersoftware.com
  • Bill Carson
    edited December 2009
    Even though GM won't handle the LAS format for logs, it will still import ascii files so the capability may be there already. If you look at the LAS format it seems complicated, yet most of the parameters are not necessary to plot the vertical information. A simple csv file would be all that is needed in most cases without all the LAS header information.

So, say I have a file such as:

611.461 73.5178
    611.716 61.3796
    612.257 63.6184
    612.457 61.1435

where the first column is a depth and the second column is a parameter such as density. Then if I were to import this as an ASCII file would I be able to display it as a vector feature in 3D? I realize this is too simplistic but I have no experience with 3D in GM, so I am not sure what formats GM would recognize as 3D data. I suppose I would have to create an area, which for a well could be a very small square which I could extrude? It would help my understanding if you could point me to a site with a detailed example of a 3D format suitable for GM.

Be aware if you do get around to implementing a LAS well log format input in GM that it is not the only log display standard, as there is also the Digital Log Information Standard (DLIS) as well as many proprietary formats. There is a lot of information on these formats on the web because many software firms have tried to make data exchange feasible for the many formats. You may be interested to see some freeware that has the capability to display LAS files here:

http://www.slb.com/content/services/evaluation/software/data_utilities.asp?

Their program DataView should have examples of LAS files.
  • global_mapper
    edited December 2009
    To view something in 3D your data needs to have both an X and Y component to position it on the earth, then a Z/elevation/depth component to provide the 3D portion. So for your example the depth and density vales would just be interpreted as a 2D XY coordinate for display on a grid, not something with depth. I think for the LAS format special knowledge would have to be added to extract the well location (lat/lon) as well as the elevation pieces of information for display in 3D.

If you wanted to create a small area for the well and add an elevation attribute you could then extrude that to the surface. Just make the value negative to treat it as a depth.

I have attached a small sample 3D file that has 3D building for Manhattan that can show you what is possible. Also check out the video tutorial at http://www.globalmapperforum.com/viewing-3d-vector-data.html that demonstrates this.

Let me know if I can be of further assistance.

Thanks,

Mike
    Global Mapper Support
  • Bill Carson
    edited December 2009
    Thanks for the file, I had already viewed your tutorial looking for capabilities. It appears this package just contains one file in shape format with nested polygons that are rendered by GM to produce the 3D effect. The file itself is binary so I am unable to read it, unless I am missing some feature of GM that would allow me to do so (your program has so many great features I have yet to explore it entirely).

In the past I have written some simple software using Win32 to create shape files for myself from ASCII data, so it would seem feasible to do the same for well logs. I realize I would have to include an X-Y location for a well, but would I need to make a polygon or would a point feature be enough for GM to extrude?

I realize my lack of knowledge and experience with the 3D features in GM may make the answers to my questions obvious. Do you offer a time limited version of GlobalMapper with which to experiment with?
  • global_mapper
    edited December 2009
    The file is just a Shapefile that you can load with the File->Open Data File(s) menu command. You can export that to a text file using the File->Export Vector->Export Simple ASCII Text File menu command to see how this would look in a text file. Make sure to check the box to include elevations in the export.

If you email support@globalmapper.com I can provide you with a trial key to try out the full functionality.

Let me know if I can be of further assistance.

Thanks,

Mike
    Global Mapper Support
  • Bill Carson
    edited December 2009
    Thanks for your help. I need to study the problem a little more so I can ask more intelligent questions, so I am going to sleep on it.