Global Mapper v25.0

Does GM support playing sound files, attached to a point?

vax
vax Global Mapper UserTrusted User
edited December 2009 in Technical Support
Hi,

It's seems lika a silly question, but my intention is to make a simple voice-recorder, connected to the NMEA-output of my GPS receiver. The idea is to record POIs as voice files with a single press-and-say-it action on a microSD card instead of all the slow and boring typing on the keyboard.

As I investigated, GPX file seems suitable for storing such a data - a set of points each one with an assosiated link to .wav/.mp3 or some other audio file.

GM would be very suitable for visualising such a "voice-POI" file e.g. a point symbol with attached play button (or the button available in the edit-dialog). This trick will replace entirely the way I mark tracks and POIs now as marking will be much easier and even could be done on the move ...

So my question is if this feature is somwhere buried deep in GM already :-) ?

Regards,
VAX

Comments

• global_mapper
    global_mapper Administrator
    edited December 2009
    VAX,

This functionality does already existing in GM. Assuming you are using the <link> attribute for a waypoint in the GPX file, you can just select a point with the Feature Info tool, then right-click on the link attribute whose value is the associated sound file, then select the option to open the file with Windows. This should use the default application associated wit hthe file type to play the sound file.

Let me know if I can be of further assistance.

Thanks,

Mike
    Global Mapper Support
    support@globalmapper.com
  • vax
    vax Global Mapper User Trusted User
    edited December 2009
    Thanks Mike, this will work for me :)
  • Sakis
    Sakis Global Mapper User
    edited December 2009
    VAX can you descripe step by step how you do this with the sound link???
    Thank you
    sakis