Global Mapper v25.0

write 'feature name' but don't display on GPS screen

gpsmpr
gpsmpr Global Mapper UserTrusted User
edited November 2009 in Technical Support
I am creating maps for a GPS unit and am having a problem with the name of a line feature showing up on my GPS. The line feature's name is displayed on the screen at all times, and I want it to only be displayed when selected.

I set the line feature to be displayed as a 'political boundary' (MP_TYPE=0x1c), but it isn't really a political boundary so I changed the feature name to 'Special Area Boundary' (through Modify Feature Info)

So the GPS displays 'Special Area Boundary' on the screen at all times now. If I leave the feature name as 'unknown', the GPS displays 'political boundary' but only when the cursor is moved over the line feature.

How do I get the GPS to say 'Special Area Boundary' only when the cursor is moved over the line feature and not display the name at all times on the screen?

Comments

• global_mapper
    global_mapper Administrator
    edited November 2009
    There really isn't a way to do what you are describing. When you point at a feature on the screen, the GPS will show a popup with either the feature name (if any), or the feature type name. If a feature has a name that will also display on the map. There isn't any to customize the type name on the GPS unit, so if you need a custom name you are stuck having it display on the map as well.

Let me know if I can be of further assistance.

Thanks,

Mike
    Global Mapper Support
    support@globalmapper.com
  • gpsmpr
    gpsmpr Global Mapper User Trusted User
    edited November 2009
    How about on page 33 of the cgpsmapper manual, section 4.2.7

It seems like a label 'Special Area Boundary~[0x1e]' might work, but the English in the Code meaning is a little fuzzy so I can't really figure out what he means.

Are you familiar with these special codes?
  • global_mapper
    global_mapper Administrator
    edited November 2009
    Ah, I think you are onto something. The ~[0x1c] and ~[0x1e] special character represent prefix and suffix characters. The English is a bit hard to understand, but I think everything before the ~[0x1c] character is treated as a prefix and everything after the ~[0x1e] sequence is treated as a suffix and will only be displayed on the map when you select a feature or zoom in below 1km. So try making your string ' ~[0x1e]Special Area Boundary' and see if that works. You may need to use ~[0x1c] if this doesn't work.

Let me know if I can be of further assistance.

Thanks,

Mike
    Global Mapper Support
    support@globalmapper.com
  • gpsmpr
    gpsmpr Global Mapper User Trusted User
    edited November 2009
    I checked it out and 1 km is still to early to be loading the labels for my purposes

I never did any experimenting, but hope this thread can help somebody else

Happy Mapping!