Global Mapper v25.0

Survey data to Shapefile

DustyRobinson
DustyRobinson Global Mapper UserTrusted User
edited September 2009 in Vector Data
I have a lot of daily survey data in *.csv format. The data is - Pt#, Northing, Easting, Elevation, Code. I would like to import all of the daily *.csv files and then export the combined points to multiple shapefiles based on each different Codes. What is the best way to go about this?

Comments

• global_mapper
    global_mapper Administrator
    edited September 2009
    Does your file have a line at the top with the column names, like:

Pt#,Northing,Easting,Elevation,Code

If so, if you renamed the Code to Description, you should be able to then create new point types matching the Code values that are encountered and your features would be automatically assigned to those types on import. Then you could export to a Shapefile and use the option to split the export into files based on the feature description/type (actually you could skip the step of creating types if you wanted and this should still work).

Let me know if I can be of further assistance.

Thanks,

Mike
    Global Mapper Support
    support@globalmapper.com
  • DustyRobinson
    DustyRobinson Global Mapper User Trusted User
    edited September 2009
    I have tried checking the "Split Into Separate Files by Feature Layer/Description", but it only exports one shapefile based on the feature type it was assigned at import (like Unknown Points). The "Code" for each point is an listed as an attribute for each point. I guess I need a way to export to multiple shapefiles based on attributes, is that possible? Am I missing something with the "Split..." option?
  • DustyRobinson
    DustyRobinson Global Mapper User Trusted User
    edited September 2009
    I just figured it out, I did not have "Column headers in first row of file" checked. That did the trick.