Global Mapper v25.0

Error Loading Shapefile Data

gpsmpr
gpsmpr Global Mapper UserTrusted User
edited October 2009 in Technical Support
I am working on a Montana Topo map and have some shapefiles that have errors while loading in GM v11 (I am exporting to .mp files). Sometimes GM gives the error and says memory has been exceeded. Some other times it doesn't write the header to the .mp file

Error Loading Shapefile Data
C:
DBaseFile.cpp - 1204

The shapefiles are 1x1 arc degree and I get the error on the large files like contours and tiger data, but sometimes NHD flowlines and areas error out too.

Haven't had this problem in Wyoming or Colorado, Montana's data set should be smaller as far as contours and tiger?

Any ideas on what I can do?

Thanks guys!

Comments

• global_mapper
    global_mapper Administrator
    edited August 2009
    Is there a DBF file accompanying your SHP file? Is it possible that DBF file is open in another process, like Excel?

Are you running the 32-bit or 64-bit version of Global Mapper and how much RAM do you have on your machine?

Thanks,

Mike
    Global Mapper Support
    support@globalmapper.com
  • gpsmpr
    gpsmpr Global Mapper User Trusted User
    edited August 2009
    yes there is a dbf file, they have never been opened on this computer, so that's not possible.

32-bit Vista version with 2GB of RAM

Please keep the ideas coming, all suggestions can help me with troubleshooting and testing

Thanks
  • global_mapper
    edited August 2009
    It could be you are running out of memory. Is it possible for you to FTP me the files so that I can give it a try? You can FTP them to ftp.globalmapper.com using a username of 'upload' and a password of 'upload'.

Let me know if I can be of further assistance.

Thanks,

Mike
    Global Mapper Support
    support@globalmapper.com
  • gpsmpr
    edited August 2009
    If I'm running out of memory, would it help to cut the state in half, or will I still have to use the same amount on loading those grid areas?

Yes, I can ftp. I will after I do some more testing today.
  • global_mapper
    edited August 2009
    If memory is indeed the problem then cutting the state in half would help to load it one half at a time. Actually breaking your data up into a bunch of smaller chunks and using a map catalog would be the best approach, but you'd probably need to be able to load it first.

If you can get me the data later today and I check and see what the actual problem is though.

Thanks,

Mike
    Global Mapper Support
    support@globalmapper.com
  • gpsmpr
    edited August 2009
    Maybe I will used MapWindow to break the shapefiles up - good idea!
    Or try it on my laptop with 3GB RAM

Is there an easy way to select portions of a shapefile and export to a new shapefile in GM? I haven't been able to find an export selected features function yet
  • global_mapper
    edited August 2009
    That is strange, I wouldn't expect that. Maybe there is an issue with the DBF file being over a certain size or something..

You can certainly use the File->Export Vector->Export Shapefile menu command in Global Mapper and then use the Gridding and/or Export Bounds tabs to export a subset or break the export up into smaller pieces.

Although as you are now describing the problem I'm very interested in getting the data to see if I can reproduce and fix the problem.

Thanks,

Mike
    Global Mapper Support
    support@globalmapper.com
  • gpsmpr
    edited August 2009
    laptop with 3gb helped

Also exporting contour data to .5x.5 arc degree areas helped to not exceed memory

Thank you for your help!
  • gpsmpr
    edited October 2009
    Gridding out the data has helped to get rid of all of the errors, however, when I run the whole state I get some .mp files that come out without the header data written to the file.

Half of the files could come out OK, but after the first file comes out without a header, all the rest after that come out without a header in the .MP file.
  • global_mapper
    edited October 2009
    That is very strange. Are the files coming from the same export process? What options are you choosing on the export?

Thanks,

Mike
    Global Mapper Support
    support@globalmapper.com
  • gpsmpr
    edited October 2009
    Yes, this happens during the same export process.

I set the map name, then browse to my .mp header file, and don't select any of the other options. img_id i leave set to 0, so automatic

I set the gridding and have them named starting with _A1

I specify the boundaries to export by lat/long
  • global_mapper
    edited October 2009
    Is your template file on a local drive or a network drive? I'm just wondering if perhaps the template file was suddenly no longer accessible or something.

Thanks,

Mike
    Global Mapper Support
    support@globalmapper.com
  • gpsmpr
    edited October 2009
    It's on the local drive - C:

Good thought though, but there shouldn't be any reason it wasn't accessible

Some of the map catalog data is on an external hard drive connected through USB
  • global_mapper
    edited October 2009
    Is the problem reproducible? If you do the export again do the same files have the missing header?

Thanks,

Mike
    Global Mapper Support
    support@globalmapper.com
  • gpsmpr
    edited October 2009
    yes, i tried it this morning and it appears to be reproducible

over 100 mp files were made with the header, but within +/- 1 file of the last run, the 129th file has no header written to it and all after that have no header
  • global_mapper
    edited October 2009
    Is it possible for you to provide the input data so that I can give this a try? Assuming the data is large, you can FTP it to ftp.globalmapper.com using a username of 'upload' and a password of 'upload'.

Let me know if I can be of further assistance.

Thanks,

Mike
    Global Mapper Support
    support@globalmapper.com
  • gpsmpr
    edited October 2009
    No, it's really too large of a dataset to FTP - as far as my time

I will try GM version 10 and some other troubleshooting for a while, then if I still have problems I will FTP the data
  • global_mapper
    edited October 2009
    I'll run some tests myself on a large gridded export and see if perhaps I can reproduce the problem as well.

Thanks,

Mike
    Global Mapper Support
    support@globalmapper.com
  • gpsmpr
    edited October 2009
    i put all data on the local drive and tried it again, no difference
  • global_mapper
    edited October 2009
    I was unable to reproduce the problems in my test. Is there any way you can FTP all of your data to me so that I can give it a try with the same inputs?

Thanks,

Mike
    Global Mapper Support
    support@globalmapper.com